Monday, September 26, 2011

Horse Trials and longevity?

I'm reading a book called The Longevity Project. It is about the conclusions from the 80 year long study of over 1500 children born around 1910, and statistically compares all sorts of variables to determine what actually contributed to their longevity or their demise.
The book itself, while somewhat soft for me in the statistical conclusion, and a bit pompous at times, is still intriguing. What do I do that either puts me on pathways to a longer, health-filled life, and what do I do that is digging me an early grave? Am I already too old to get an early grave?
I haven't finished the book, or answered the question; "Is my equi-centric hobby helpful, or harmful?" I, naturally lean towards "helpful", as I spend much time being physical, taking care of, and riding these beautiful animals. Plus, all the emotional contentment must be good for me.
On the other hand, choosing a sport whose required equipment includes
An "ATSM approved helmet. ATSM approved helmets will be tested for required specifications for impact and trauma tests. Materials tested for this specification include the pair of appropriate size headform and helmet and the anvils for the impacts tests, which consist of the flat anvil and the equestrian hazard anvil. "
Also required is a "Body Protective vest" as described:
  • Level 3 (purple label) is considered appropriate for general riding, competitions including eventing and working with horses. Level 3 body protectors should prevent minor bruising that would have produced stiffness and pain, reduce soft tissue injuries and prevent a limited number of rib fractures.

  •  Research into 50 falls onto the shoulder during eventing competitions revealed that among the 30 riders not wearing shoulder protection, there were six broken collarbones and two dislocated shoulders, but no fractures among the 20 fallers who were wearing shoulder protectors to BETA Level 3."
    You must also wear an armband with your medical information and last rite preferences attached.
    So, hmmmm. Helpful? Harmful?  Better finish the book.
    And yesterday, I managed to spend from dark until dark competing in my first Horse Trials in 25 years. I had SO MUCH FUN!  And, managed not to fracture a thing, crush my skull, or dislocate any body parts. Whoop!

    I was assisted in not dying by my dear friend, Kara, who also successfully completed the day on her mare, Indy and who transported the four-legged participants.
    Kara's baby girl, Ava, most adorable of all creatures. Who brings a baby to an Event that requires kevlar vests and kick/crush protective helmets? Why, we do.
    And my baby girl, Middlest, to take care of Kara's baby girl, and be my photographer when I rode. I got to be Kara's photographer. This was a matter of juggling, horse, baby, camera, video and trying to watch with my own eyes as well. Needless to say, quality of all but baby and horse care was wanting.


    Kara and Indy at warm-up for dressage.

    My baby and Kara's baby. Note baby's toy of choice is a dressage whip (39" long). Look out Middlest!

    Kara and Indy enter the dressage arena at "A".

    Oslo and I about to begin our dressage test.

    Oslo and I in a "20 m circle" at "B". Evidently, whole horse shots were a challenge for Middlest.

    Kara and Indy in nice form over fence 3, cross country.

    Oslo and I in cross country warmups. Foregoing the vest until we do something challenging. It was hot!

    Most adorable of Creatures, and her Momma.

    Oslo and I over fence 6- embedded in the stadium course (last phase of the three).

    Os and I up over fence number 9- having a whole lotta fun!

    Kara and Indy in stadium,or showjumping phase. Over fence two!

    Kara and Indy place third in their division!

    Oslo and I jump fence two in stadium.

    And also get to bring home a pretty ribbon!

    No comments:

    Post a Comment