Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Chillin's

\
 A few weekends ago, Eldest and I participated in the Congenital Heart Walk to raise money and awareness for congenital heart defects. This was a last minute thing, as she found out about it on a Friday while doing research for her senior project. She is doing a year long project about congenital heart defects and the procedures done by cardiac catheterization to modify the anomalies. She wanted to do the walk, not only for her senior project, but for herself. It isn't a secret, it isn't something we dwell on much either, but Eldest has Ebstein's Anomaly, a defect of her heart which means her tricuspid valve (the one between her right side ventricle and atrium) is in the wrong place, making her ventricle very small and the atrium large. She also had an ASD or atrial septal defect, which was a hole between her right and left atria. This was closed by catheterization surgery when she was in 2nd grade. They placed an Amplatzer device in the hole, and then over time, the body grows cells through the Amplatzer and she has a hole there no longer. I am glad she is learning about her particular anomaly, as she is almost an adult now, and this is something she will deal with, always. I was proud to walk the 5 K with her and lots of others with congenital heart defects, and also many walking in memory of children who did not live long enough to walk with us.
As Eldest works on her college apps, one of the schools she is sending an application is Duke University. She has not been back there since she was six months old, but that is where she was sent with the Life Flight team as a newborn. She spent several days in their PICCU (Pediatric Intensive Cardiac Care Unit). I am so thankful she gets a chance to apply to attend college, and Duke is a part of it from the start.
Youngest was in desperate need of a haircut. So, off to the patio we went with the scissors when I had a few minutes to spare after he got off the bus. I trimmed his hair, then he flopped into the rockers. I realized, as I looked at him, I have so few photos of him without glasses. So, I asked him to stay put while I grabbed the camera. This was the pose he chose. So serious! Those who have known him a long time will notice that his eyes, both of them, look at the camera. This was not meant to be a blog about the defects of my children, but I guess that is coming out anyway! He has worn glasses since he was younger than two, and for all that time, without the glasses on, the one eye wasn't strong enough to focus and would wander off. I guess he's getting stronger! And so handsome. He looks uncannily like my Dad as a boy.

Photo by Jennifer Hilaman
 On Saturday, before the big Band Showcase at our high school, Middlest and I snuck off (if driving 80 minutes north is sneaking) to a Pony Club lesson, to school the cross country fences at Crosswinds Farm. It was a stupendous fall morning, just a little chilly, and warm enough in the sun. The leaves are just glorious. She and Patches did a fine job, navigating all the fences nicely. Then, back home for a quick change of clothes and... hats (from riding helmet to band plume!).
Photo by Jennifer Hilaman
And, I had to include this photo, because it has long been a cliche phrase "That horse can jump the moon!" Well, for Patches, this is proof.

1 comment: