Sunday, July 7, 2013

Birthday ride! Agriculture tour! Defining "rural"! Cake and Bourbon!

Yesterday was my 45th birthday. It is great to make it this far. I am truly chuffed to get halfway to 90.
In honor of my birthday, I moved a bunch of dirty stuff in the barn in order to clear out an area that had moldy hay. In case you aren't jealous yet, that wasn't the only thing I got up to on my birthday. I also had a lovely ride with my pony pals; Middlest on Nellie, and Youngest on Previously Perfect Pearl. (The "previous" was earned when she nipped Youngest while he was tacking her up.)
We ignored the dire weather predictions and walked out around "the block."
First we stopped by our neighbors, the Barrs, and chatted and invited them over for cake and bourbon slush later in the evening.

 Our tour took us past wheat fields. This one has the wheat taken off, and the remaining stalks will be cut and baled for straw. This picture looks like a well-rendered painting. It is not.


 My riding buddies. Love.


 We don't have an ocean, but we do have a sea of corn.





 Continuing the tour of agricultural identification: on the left; corn. On the right; soybeans. In the middle? Ponies and kiddos.

 There are grass swaths through some fields.  I wish we could ride on them!


 Okay, these are soybeans. But, for the particularly keen of eye, this is also the back side of Cowfeathers Farm. You can see the big red barn in the very center of the photo. Truly, it is there!



 Previously Perfect Pearl was the last one in line on the way out, and then put on the gas on the return trip! And, my partner, Chaser, follows.


 This is the back side of my neighbor's farm. I think this tour is why we are deemed "rural."


 
I also met my husband for lunch in TBC this week, a special treat. I had a haircut too!
 
Which seems a bit random, but worth mentioning, because girl is trying. Although, the photo appears to show girl has a butterfly rash. Maybe should check out those lupus levels....
In the evening, friends began to arrive as we sat on the brick patio and enjoyed company and cake and libations until it began to rain a bit. Then we moved the party onto the screen porch and had a lovely visit. I am so lucky to have friends! And, more than lucky to have a husband to arrange it all, bake a cake and chill a bottle of wine, or two. Spoiled, and appreciative.
 
 
 
And the sun continues to set!
 

3 comments: