Sunday, February 9, 2014

Gluten Free Irish Soda Bread, and true confessions.

My morning began with a cold nose (only thing peeking out of the multiple layers of warm-making items) and a voice saying "TEXT FROM: AMY. READ NOW?". Why does it talk to me? Why when my cellphone is silenced that irksome voice doesn't comply? Is it a politician?
Anyway, there are much worse ways to begin to stir, and a text from a beloved pal is most appreciated, so I allowed hand to join nose and come out from under the covers.
The text concerned the baking of non-glutenous breads. My friend had suffered an unsuccessful attempt at baking and was looking for tips. I imparted that I had a favorite recipe, and would send it on.
It is ridiculously easy. And tasty. Thus a favorite. I mean easy. 
At the risk (great and imminent) of revealing my lazy core, I thought I'd not only share it with Ames, but with anyone so interested.

And, while I'm having "true confessions" I will be up front and tell all that I have taught my son, Youngest, to bake this bread. Yep. Lazy.

It is from the cookbook "Gluten-Free on a Shoestring" by Nicole Hunn ( okay, okay, I'm lazy and cheap!).


Crucial is the oven-proof skillet. I use a Calphalon skillet given to us as a wedding present 20 years ago. Also important is that it uses GF APF (Gluten Free all-purpose flour). Many bread recipes use about 9 different flours, and that would not qualify in the lazy category. Oh, in the following, t. = teaspoon and T.= tablespoon.

3 C. GF APF ( I have tried several brands of Gluten-Free All-Purpose Flour. Most do fine.  I'm least fond
                        of Bob's Red Mill. Great GF brownie mix, terrible, grainy GF APF)
1 1/2 t. xanthan gum
3/4 C. sugar
2 1/4 t. baking powder
1 t. baking soda
1/2 t. kosher salt
1/4 t. cream of tartar
6 T. unsalted butter, diced and chilled
2 C. raisins (I don't use these, ever, but you're welcome to try)
2 T. caraway seeds (also optional, but I LOVE them in this bread)
1 1/2 C. milk (lowfat (or 1%) is fine, but skim doesn't do. So, if I have skim, I add a bit of half-half or cream)
2 t. white wine vinegar
1 extra-large egg (the only kind my chickens make!)

Preheat the oven to 350* F. Grease a 10 or 12 inch oven proof skillet with sides on it using unsalted butter.

In a large bowl (Okay, true confessions, again. I do the WHOLE DARN RECIPE in my food processor. So, if you're the owner of a large capacity food processor, just add it all in there).
Anyway, in a large bowl, place the flour, xanthan gum, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cream of tartar. Whisk to combine (or pulse a few times on the food processor).

Place the cold, diced butter into the large bowl with the dry ingredients. Using a hand held pastry blender, or two knives, (OR THE FOOD PROCESSOR) cut the butter into the dry ingredients until the mixture resembles small peas, or a bit more crumbly than dusty. The idea is for the butter to be in small pieces, and each small piece is surrounded by the flour mixture. Stir in your optional ingredients (at least try the caraway). 

Add the milk, vinegar, and egg and mix with a spoon (or pulse with the food processor) just until the mixture  comes together.

Scrape the dough into the prepared ovenproof skillet, and with wet hands, smooth the top of the dough, piling it a bit higher in the center and pulling it about 1/8 inch away from the edges of the skillet. With a sharp knife, cut a deep "X" into the center of the loaf.



Place the skillet into your preheated oven and bake for 40 minutes. Turn down the oven temperature to 325*F  and bake for another 30-35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out completely  clean. Allow the bread to cool in the pan for about 30 minutes and then turn onto a wire rack to cool completely.

Add impatient. Impatient, lazy and cheap. (But well-fed).
I never let it cool. I just slice big chunks out of the skillet, slather it with butter and feel the ecstasy.







No comments:

Post a Comment