Saturday, July 14, 2018

Our Pearlie Girl.



Pearl


 I loved Tucker. He was a sweet soul, a steadfast friend, a light in any cloudy day. It was impossible to have a bad day when you also had Tucker. When Tucker's cancer became more fierce than my chemotherapy and radiation, all of my tools of modern western and alternative medicine combined, and he was ready to leave us, he left a hole behind. Too large to fill, it took me some time to start saying "I need another dog for Jules."
Julia had mourned terribly for Tucker, was depressed and listless for many months. Julia, or Jules, is our "black dog". A wire haired mutt seized as a 10 month old by the County for abuse, Julia called me from dog jail and I posted her permanent bail. Jules has been a joy from the first, and took all her cues from Tucker, who taught her well. Now Julia is the "older dog" needing a partner to train.
So I started saying it aloud.
"I am ready for another dog." Not really believing so, but thinking that I would be ready when the opportunity arose. But, truly, I wanted another Golden. Not "like Tucker" because I am too jaded to believe you can recreate the soul of any living creature, but "Tucker-like." Sweet, and kind. Sensitive and devoted.
So, I started saying it aloud.
"I am ready for another Golden." To be true, a Golden Retriever, but the second bit often is left off for the dog types.
I said it at work, and to my friends. Heck, I probably mentioned it to strangers, as I seem to speak to everyone. Last month I found myself "high-fiving" a lady in the grocery store because we kept passing each other in the aisles. I am intrepid by aisle 3... ( Research says that people who speak to strangers are happier, and live longer- I'm gonna be Gram-Gram old. #101 baby! Epley, N., & Schroeder, J. (2014). Mistakenly seeking solitude. Journal of Experimental Psychology: General, 143(5), 1980-1999.)  
I kept putting it out there, and secretly praying for the Golden to arrive in mild weather- I hate house training in the winter!
One of the friends I mentioned it to texted me with a photo of two Goldens. I said "OMG, Adorable!" Followed a few texts later with "I want one!!!"
Well, wouldn't you know, the pair belonged to a family who was needing to re-home one of the dogs after taking on a LOT of life, and then having a house fire that put them out of their house. They wanted to find a loving, caring home for the white haired Golden, and doncha know, I knew just the place! I was there in an hour to meet her and bring her home.
Her name is Pearl.
Now,  Cowfeathers Farm Blog faithful (my mom) will recall we already had a Pearl. Practically Perfect Pearl was Youngest's first pony. She was a grey Arab pony of advanced years and a big heart that gave him the confidence to become the rider his is today (a good one!).  So, my family made some suggestions for a name change for Pearl.
But our sweet Pearl- and she is the sweetest of canines- doesn't see very well. She has some congenital ocular defects that mean she isn't quite blind. If you want to understand what Pearl sees of the world, take you hands, and make fists. Holding the thumb side towards your eyes, place the fists about three inches away from your eyes. Now, quickly, move them back and forth, about 1 inch of sway either way. Try walking, or running. It makes a lot of sense why she will stop and lie down if she feels uncertain!


She is, as I said, the sweetest of dogs. She loves all creatures and has made fast friends with the cats and with Baily, above- a logical friendship as Baily is the Pearl of equines.
We are still working on training, she isn't practically perfect yet! She had a urinary tract infection when she first arrived, but I took care of that right away, and she has taken to house training quickly. But along with her eye problems, tests have shown her kidneys are challenged as well. She tends to "follow her nose" which has gotten her into trouble, as she will find something she is keen on and wander away from her people! So, she still spends a lot of time on leash. She knows how to say "please" and has become rather polite, but she gets excited to see me and wants to put her paw on my leg. She rarely chews, but rarely is not never... okay she is practically perfect.

Welcome to Cowfeathers Farm, Pearl!





No comments:

Post a Comment