Sunday, January 20, 2019

A coloring book


I have been putting some time in, daily for a few days, on a little something that I hope means a little something to someone special.
I thought "Is this a 'Passion Project'?" So, I  Googled (a verb that was not a verb for most of my life) "passion project".  I had thought it was something that you felt compelled to do. But according to Google, it is something you do in a hope to gain from it personally. Hmmm.
I do not hope to gain fame, or fortune. I do hope to gain some moments of sunshine for a little guy. This would make me feel good, personally. Which is a gain. But by blogging about it, I am also showing off "my good deed". This could be for personal gain, as in, people say nice things that make me feel good about myself. It also could be an inspiration for someone reading this to do something little for someone else. Egad. Narcissism or altruism? I guess I answered one question:
Me doing thing= potentially happiness for someone who needs a bit= me feel good if it brings him happiness=personal gain=passion project.
So, I have found a little passion project.
See, there is a little boy next door. Well, there are three little ones, two boys and one girl, and they are all just loves. But the youngest has been challenged since birth. He's only 4, but about the size of my babies at age 2. He's smart and sweet, and everything wonderful about 4 year old boys.
This week, he was helping his mum mop the floor- just as my Youngest would have done. But, he slipped and fell. Because of his health challenges, he broke his femur. Poor little mite is in a cast for a while.
My big sister broke her femur on my third? birthday. It seemed like she was in a full cast forever! I know she remembers this and how difficult it was. I hope science has found ways to make it easier for my little friend, but I'm afraid it's awfully similar.
So, I was struck, as it often happens, with plans whilst trying to fall asleep.
I have found it it easier to go with the "plans" than fight them. God speaks to me in those between moments. And, as Zechariah learned; go with God's plan. I don't want to make it any harder than it has to be, I like to talk.
So  I was told to make a coloring book for Ayden. Really, it seems like a simple plan. I make the art. He colors it. We have a book at the end, and, hopefully, a healed femur.
The actuality is a little tough. I am working with trying to draw using my computer finger pad? This is not what it is called, but that gives you an idea of my technical acuity.
Tracer pad?
Finger scribbling thingie on my computer?
To Youngest; " Hey, what is this square thing on my computer called?"
"It's a track pad."
Okay so I am trying to draw using a track pad.

The thing I like about the drawings is that they are a bit wonky.

I'm a little bit into the book, so I got to stir in some flavor of Cowfeathers Farm.








Then,  I found out he can eat actual brownies!


It is really a lot of fun for me. Hopefully Ayden enjoys hearing about himself and seeing himself in a book, even if it's a wonky one.
Now, so this isn't just a "passion project", I need at least one of you to be inspired to go do something little for someone else.
And, tell me about it!






2 comments:

  1. Do we post a track pad photo?

    This week in rural Kansas, I spied an elder woman using a tri-pod cane in our grocery parking lot. Parking lot was snow & ice, and ~ 15º. Her companion had walked far ahead of her, presumably to unlock, start car, etc.

    I saw that one of her tennis shoes (in 15ºF) was untied.

    I stopped her, and told her what I had observed, explaining that I was worried that she would trip.

    She was so grateful, as I knelt down and tied her shoe laces.

    I didn't do anything heroic, per se, but I did keep an eye out for my elder woman.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lovely! That is heroism on a small scale, but, I understand small things , when there are enough of them, make big ones!

      Delete