Wednesday, May 8, 2019

Tractor Shed Before and After..

The tractor shed is a utility building. It serves as a garage of sorts, with the tractor, lawn equipment and outdoor storage. But, it also serves as a background for the Border Garden.
And, the shed was looking very, very sad.

You see the tractor shed from our screen porch. Years ago, I painted the ancient lap siding a cheery green. The siding was so old and dry, the paint did not stick very well, and our house is regularly sandblasted by the wind across the fields, so the green had faded and become rather "chippy". I honestly liked it that way. I have a fondness for old things, and the tractor shed certainly looked like it had history! I liked the way the viburnum blooms looked with the old background, and the bright holly hocks in the summer likewise looked like perfection against the gray and green wood.
It's faded green- ness helped it melt into the farm, nearly disappear.



But it took another beating over the winter, and by early spring, it was apparent that it no longer looked charmingly old. It looked sad.



 A window fell out, some siding had departed. It was time for a new look.
So, off with the old lap siding.


Since the old siding was applied directly to the framing of the building,  I reframed windows, replaced rotted frame boards and added a layer of plywood under the new siding.


It was a mess. But improvements make a mess.

I wisely enlisted the help of Youngest. Putting up siding is easier with a "crew". Even if that crew is only two!

 New siding, new trim, new (from my collection of old) windows. Just need the pressure treated trim boards to dry, and then they can get their paint!


  Much less sad.


And, now a fresh backdrop for the Border Garden!

Yes, true, I hear you, Dad- I'm getting ahead of myself. You're correct. I still have two more sides of the building to replace. Soon.

For now I'm enjoying the view.


C'mon Pearl!

No comments:

Post a Comment