Friday, September 24, 2021

Foxcroft Farm Before and Afters- Sleeping Porch

 It has been a busy summer at Foxcroft, sometimes I wonder what I have been doing! Then, I look at this blog and know- I've been having fun. But, there has been some work happening between larks. Lots of maintenance, mowing, weeding, cleaning, etc. and sometimes moving the ball forward in making this lovely house our home. 

We have a huge bedroom that remains largely untouched, and a bit crowded with bits and bobs I haven't yet reckoned with, but  it has an equally large screened porch and a lovely peek at the Southwest Mountains. For most of a year, the screen porch was overlooked each morning, as it had not much to recommend notice. But, in August, I realized that outdoor sleeping weather was approaching, and I did not want to spend another year ignoring this asset. 



The sleeping porch is largely open to the bedroom through these large sliders. 

To the north the Southwest Mountains are beyond the trees. They are smaller mountains, more easily climbed and are partially in the hunt territory of Keswick Hunt. 




The view out the back is of the pool, a great oak tree, fields and the riding arena. 

 
On the south side of the porch is a delightful willow oak that envelops that side of the porch and makes you feel like you are in a tree house. 


Great views with complete privacy, sunset aspect, beautiful tongue and groove ceiling,  a large amount of space, all screened, there is much to love about this porch!
For me to want to spend time out here, the carpet has to go, the jailhouse railing needs to depart, it needs a good cleaning, and the "two lights/one fan" needs to transpose to "two fans/one light". I don't need much overhead light out here, really. Light at night brings bugs. Moving the air for hot nights seems more important.


Cleaning was very satisfying. The walls cleaned up beautifully, the previous paint job was done with quality paint, so elbow grease was all that was needed on the walls. The screening areas were more in need, so a clean and a fresh coat of paint was in order. 

Once the green carpet was gone and the massive amount of dried flaked glue was vacuumed up, I already liked the porch better! 



I wanted to have an old fashioned southern sleeping porch, so- a bed. But also, I want a place to sit and have a cuppa, and a place to write. So, I sit now, writing on our sleeping porch!










How adorable is this little table and chairs? 
From Circa, Charlottesville. My favorite. I just cleaned and painted them up. 



The wicker rocker and wicker chest of drawers were Facebook Marketplace bargains, cleaned and freshened with a coat of paint, and new chair cushion. The vintage sofa with the woven back is from Circa, Charlottesville. I have tucked a vintage block print toile textile I bought at auction around the cushion to cover the previous loud floral.  The antique chaise is from auction, originally from New Orleans. 


The ceiling got a glossy coat of Upward from Sherwin Williams. It is the perfect blue-gray. 


The floor got a checkerboard of white and soft, hopeful blue, bordered by the blue-gray of Upward.


I love the bed! I wanted it to have a slightly exotic tone, inspired by my friend, T. who works and lives part time in Tanzania, and described the beautiful beds of Zanzibar. Short of finding a true Zanzibar bed ( I looked) I instead made my own version. I found the beautiful antique carved wooden screen in an antique store in Waynesboro, and converted it into headboard. The side rails were from another antique bed I bought at auction this year. I just built the bed frame and suspended it for a softly swaying bed that feels luxurious and special. 



Now that the jail house railing is gone, the porch feels wonderfully open. But, I am afraid I probably need to do some sort of safely railing. The "x and square" rail sets leaning up on the screen wall are a salvage from a redo at my parents home. I have been hauling them around for a while, because they are perfect for something! I think this is the something. So, now to adapt the salvage ones, and build complementary ones to complete the rail. 



Right now, I am working on the whole porch rail situation on the main floor. So, we shall see if I get to these rails before winter? I have bitten off a few large projects at once this autumn. Tod's Tavern is also getting dismantled currently, a large project that will be thrilling when finished. 
Importantly, enjoying fall, riding my big pony, visiting wineries and hosting friends in between frenzied destruction and construction! 


                          And, sweet Daisy is getting regular Physical therapy. All in a day's work!





2 comments: