Sunday, November 7, 2021

The Transformational Mind and Soul Adventure Weekend



Scene from the Oracle Walk, TMSA Weekend



One of the big perks and new discoveries of our move to Virginia is time with my middle sister. Since we were kids, we have largely been far apart. There were a few years in the 90's when my eldest sis and my middle sis were in the same town, but not me. I have been half a country, or an entire ocean apart from my sisters since about 1983. Moving to Virginia has put me and my middle sister on either side of a town. Not a country or a state- a town! A little more than a half hour apart. Unprecedented in adulthood. 

Vaccinated!


We are lucky to have this opportunity, and we have been figuring out what it means to be near one another. Trips over the mountain to the nearest Aldi, a wonderful adventure to get our first Covid vaccination, followed by another for #2, occasional morning tea at her office or mine (yeah, yeah, I mean one of the Foxcroft porches- don't quibble), we have been finding time together. 

When the pink clouds are more important than getting your sister's whole face in a photo. Doh. 

We find some really unique things on our adventures. 

Delicious ones too- GF cupcakes, Richmond, Va.


A few months ago, we were having tea, and I suggested we join forces and host a weekend. My force is that of engagement in hosting. I am good at making home, and enjoy sharing that. It is simple, if not easy. Her forces are legion. She is a Learner and a Teacher. She has a lot to share and is very insightful. She does a lot of things that have names, that frankly, I am still trying to understand. What I do understand is her ability to help people cut through the fuzz and get to the peach. 

As a woman in her 50's, I know how many times I have had to transform my life, my expectations, my goals, my thinking, my purpose to meet the life I was experiencing, and how it can be a challenge. Sometimes an overwhelming one. When I retired from Vet Med, nearly in line with my Youngest graduating from high school, I struggled with that huge transformation. If I was no longer needed to be "Mom of small kids" and I was no longer a practicing veterinarian, what was I? What was my job? My purpose? Am I different now too? I wrestled with that, gave myself some time, got lucky and figured it out, if slowly. Sure could have used a Transformational weekend with my sister! She has a wealth of tools in her kit she shares to allow you to find your way. I know so many friends that are having big questions about their lives too, that could use some revelation, clarity, direction. 

I thought maybe, together, my sister and I could enjoy what happens if we put our talents into concert. 

Thus the first TMSA Weekend. 

We limited it to 5 participants, and mainly stayed within those lines, although we had 6 people participate, two were part-time. Foxcroft Farm has three guest rooms, so we had room for any out  of town participants. We made the price all-inclusive of food, beverage and supplies so no one had to pull our their wallet during the experience. My sister led the learning adventures over the weekend from Friday night to Sunday afternoon. My part was giving the group a chance to learn and relax. The meals were meant to provide delight and contentment, while a complement to the learning program. Local wines, ciders, produce and products we planned to indulge and expand. A walk at my sister's in Afton, and a field trip to Castle Hill for a cider tasting were part of the weekend discoveries. 

The real hero in the weekend was Youngest. He consented to "help" me. Which meant he did his thing as an amazing host/chef/server/bartender/keeper of the fires, working quietly, calmly and seamlessly to keep everyone comfortable, fed, warm and ready to think, listen, learn and absorb. 

As for the transformational adventures, we did some great stuff. I don't think words are adequate to describe how affecting the weekend sessions are on each individual. In short, we worked on personal strengths and core values, finding answers within from the subconscious and elemental world, putting ourselves into nature with intention, meditation, letting go of what doesn't serve us, vision boards and finding our contentment. Plus, the sensory delights of smelling good. It was a group of supportive, wise women giving each other space to learn and a listening heart. I do hope I hear from these incredible women the fruits that come from this weekend- all the peaches. 

Although the weekend was full of both talking and beautiful silences, I have something special from the weekend that only two of us shared, and that was the extra gift of creating something with my sister. 

Three sisters- together. 

Dirty Baily on a frosty Transformational Saturday.






No comments:

Post a Comment