Thursday, December 20, 2012

Cowfeathers Christmas Musicale!

What an odd week. Everything that was supposed to happen; shop, wrap, send, make, bake, work, clean, bathe, laundry, chat, call, help, carry, fix- happened. But in a fog. My world marched on, but I am aware that is not so for the families of Newtown. And, even though I have lots of childhood memories of Newtown (having grown up in that 'hood), I don't think they have entered too much into my grief. What I mean is, I don't think that my growing up there makes it worse. On Sunday afternoon I burst a blood vessel in my eye sclera (the white part) and since then, a bleeding eye seems appropriate.
But, Christmas will come, and the myriad things we do to show that effort of celebration will happen or won't. My kids prefer the effort. To that end, we had our Cowfeathers Musicale last weekend. An old house hosting an old fashioned get together. To sing, and play music of Christmas.
I took some photos.

 
 The candy table. A magnet for the kiddos.
 
 
 
 
 All ready for eaters, singers and musicians!
 
 
 Our first candidates, with Eldest holding some sheet music, and Huz scoping out the goodies. Where's Youngest? See picture #2 above.
 
 
 The kids and I strung up some carols in the conservatory (usually the dining room but in an old fashioned house, old fashioned party, why not use an old fashioned name for the room where we will play music?) I was cutting out the letters, Youngest was laying them out and Eldest was starting to string them. The first one up was "Silnet Night". My laughter had Eldest wondering what was wrong.
 One of our pretty guests!
 
 
 Middlest and her friend decided to move their loud instruments to the sunroom to play background music for a while. It was beautiful.
 
 
 
 Middlest helps little Ava play Carol of the Bells...?  Well, a carol on the bells.
 
 
 Eldest sat at the piano to get us caroling. 
 
 She had help.
 
 
 A few caroling hold-outs.
 
CAKE!

No comments:

Post a Comment