Thursday, April 11, 2013

Cincinnati Day Trip- Ikea and Jungle Jims

Spring Break 2013 has come and gone. Mostly, it was a big yawn. My plan had been to garden and ride. That isn't too grand, right? Well, Mother Nature had different plans and started our spring break with snow and wind. We did get in a little riding toward the end of the week, and by the last weekend, we even got a work day outside! I scraped and painted the rose arbor, Huz and Eldest repaired the raised bed corners in the veggie garden (had I gardened the whole week, I might've been able to call it the potager- but, no).  Youngest washed his pony, and Middlest, did something. Well, she was productive, but I was at the rose arbor most of the day.
But, the highlight, probably, of our spring break for the family ( my highlight was painting the rose arbor and trimming the Zephrine Drouhin rose that climbs it) was a day trip to Cincinnati. After the morning barn chores, we headed southwest with a mission; Ikea. We got there after the sun came up, and before Ikea opened. We headed in for breakfast- I had tea, which FYI; was free before 9 am. But the family reports the breakfast was delish- cinnamon bun, biscuits and gravy, French toast, bacon, some almond pastry thing and Swedish apple drinks all for $12.00. Then, we collected a cart and were off! Main mission? Acquiring a few things for Eldest's impending dorm life. 4 hours later we checked out. Laden. Typical of me (I have my Mom's genetics on this one) I shop with the abandon of  one who drives a box truck. Without the box truck. But, I believe, and it only took about 15 minutes to pack the car with a wingback chair, ottoman, 6.5' wooden screen,  large cooler, Dave (the desk), a 5x7 rug, three Ikea bags of "stuff", and five people. We should've left the 8th seat at home, but hindsight and all... but in, we were. Now, off to destination #2.
 
Jungle Jims!
 
 
This is one, of the maybe 4? 5? Cheese aisles alone. I love cheese.
But now think over the top on anything...and they have it. 6 1/2 acres of food, beer, wine...
 
Huz and I went into the Humidor. If one was a cigar lover, this would be heaven. I am indifferent about cigars, but fascinated by the variety.

Huz through the Humidor window.

They have wine. OH, my, do they have wine. But they also have a VIP wine room. This photo is of some of the wines in the window of the darkened, temperature controlled, locked room. If you can make out the prices of these wines, they are, well, extravagant.  On the large card on the left is written "Jungle Jim's Record Sale June 14, 2008 (the name of the wine) Burgundy, France, $7999.99"  Youngest said to me "Mom, if you had that much money, you wouldn't buy wine, you would buy a horse." Smart kid.

With over 1500 hot sauces, they have a section that you have to sign a release to purchase a bottle.

There is a huge area of the store devoted to international foods. MMMM. Along one wall is a series of rooms, each dedicated to groceries from different European countries. We shopped Holland "hard".  Huz (whose father is Dutch) was happy to find Holland at Jungle Jims!

This is the India area. Bags and bags of spices and rices. In the background you can see Sherwood Forest- the British section.

 
The kids all got to choose something from the store to bring home to share. Eldest chose an enormous bag of fortune cookies from China. Middlest chose a loaf of sourdough bread about 18" in diameter, and Youngest, a granny smith apple, coated in caramel and M&Ms.
I chose a thing or two myself. Yep.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment