Monday, October 14, 2013

Media Man.

For a few years I have had periodic problems with inexplicable exhaustion. This, when I'm awake, is frustrating for me, as my personality is not one that has a tendency towards sitting, let alone napping. So, last week, when Youngest hesitantly asked if I would sign his permission form to try out for the "Media Club", I wisely asked why he needed permission. The permission is required because the parent needs to know the media club meets before the sun has a thought of popping over the horizon, and they meet at school, and someone has to deliver the child at that hour. As I mentally calculated the time I would need to get into bed in order to safely drive at that time of the morning, he kept looking at me, his face screwed up apologetically, skewering me with the guilt of inadequate parenting. I asked to see the application crumpled in his hand. As I read the typed questions and his written answers, my heart kept swelling.  The question: "What position do you wish to hold in the Media Club?" he had answered "Nwsr eProters" Which I translated to News Reporter. The next question asked him to give his strengths and weaknesses as it relates to the job.
He had written " PubclisPkaK ing is a strentghs." Very clearly under that was neatly written;
                         "Spelling is a weakness."
How could I say "No" because of my own weakness? My sweet, smart, engaging boy knows himself, and he wants to do this. He doesn't ask to play baseball, or football. He gets REALLY excited about working at the concession stand serving 1350 people hotdogs and Mountain Dew. And, all he's asking is for me to get him to school a few hours earlier than my "functional" period so he can write news reports and tape them for the lunchtime newscast.
I tell him "Of course I'll sign the permission. And, I'm proud of you for going for this! Would you like some help with the spelling?" He tells me he can ask his English teacher for help, he has already asked for references from three adults, and the club meetings start next week.
I then try to figure out if I can actually get to bed that early.

Youngest giving a talk about "The History of Letterboxing" at the County Public Speaking Contest last spring. He's a firecracker at this, funny, comfortable, and easy in front of the crowd.



This morning I saw the sunrise. After delivering the kids to school. After making tea and ordering a few necessities from Amazon. I got to do my yoga sun salutes to the actual rising sun, as it sent prisms of light through the chandelier and over the walls and ceiling. I got to take the horses out to the front pasture with the mist of the morning still on the ground. And fix the middle pasture fence, and fill the front water trough. Clean a bathroom, wash some windows, launder the dog beds and eat eggs with red peppers from the garden (accompanied by some mashed purple taters dug up and roasted by Huz for dinner last night). Four cups of tea later, I'm ready to start my day. Thank You, Youngest- it has already been productive. My doctor thinks my exhaustion is explicable because I live on "Go". I remain unconvinced that my battery has just run down. In any case, I've created a life that doesn't allow for much in the way of "chilling". I will continue to try to figure out the solution to my "Stop". For today,  I may be snoring and drooling on the floor by noon, but I got to see the sunrise, the morning mist and prisms of light. Fair trade.

1 comment: