Friday, October 25, 2013

Hocking Hills Anniversary!

This November, Huz and I set aside time to go to Poland, where he had been asked to do some teaching. Optimism led me to be excited about the trip, and start some research, but as I continued to plan it became clear that the Continuing Ed seminar was not going to happen and Poland was off. Unless we just went to Poland. In November? Hmmm. The distance of Poland from the Equator is roughly the same distance as Miami to Greenland. Not. Warm.
But, I did want to go away together. So, I decided to go for something closer, and plan it around our 19th Anniversary.
Just when I thought I'd have to recruit Eldest to fly back to the Cowfeathers nest to be the AOR and referee, my parents graciously accepted the invitation to be the AORs. (Adults of Record).
So, off we went to a two night stay in our sweet little camper in the Hocking Hills. Now, when I thought of staying in the camper for a little mini-vaca, I didn't think it would be difficult to find a place to park the camper. Who vacations in Ohio in October? Apparently, lots of people. So, a few weeks before the trip I was scrambling to find a camper spot. I found one in a private campground in Vinton Co. about 15 miles from the Hocking Hills State Park. I also didn't think a dinner reservation would be tough, but two weeks before the trip got the last reservation at the Inn at Cedar Falls. Lesson learned- plan ahead!
I realized after arrival why everyone vacations there in October. It was Gorgeous. The leaves were all turning, and it was cool. Great hiking weather, and amazingly beautiful sights around every corner. I don't know why I was surprised. We have hauled the horses down to ride in the HH for years, and I am always enveloped by the beauty of the area. I must've given too much credit to the horses for my enjoyment. It was amazing on foot as well. Although, my parents were right to wonder why a woman still limping from an injury last spring would choose a hiking vacation. I've got no answer, except maybe climbing a few miles everyday might help?



 This is the sunrise view from the bed in our camper. Unfortunately, it was too cold and damp to leave the sides down and enjoy the view most of the time. But when it was nice, it was very, very nice.


 This was a church near Hue, Ohio. We were sent past this church in our pursuit of a letterbox. It was such a sensational morning, and the church reminded me of the Congregational Church in Redding Ct. The folks that settled the now dwindled town of Hue are buried here. Mostly the Steele family. We have friends here in our own little now-dwindled town that are also Steeles. Probably all tied together somehow!


 The sun makes it over the hills in Cedar Falls.


 And down in front of Cedar Falls itself.




 I took a lot of pictures (nothing new there) but I decided since it was an Anniversary trip, I should work on being in some of them with Huz. So, I took the time to find spots to set the camera and get the self- timer working.



Still, Huz is the featured human in most shots. This is us on our way in to Ash Cave early on Saturday morning. We hit the trails early in order to try to avoid as much of the expected rain as possible. Upon arriving in the cave, we found a large group of folks already there. It turned out to be a wedding (which explained the "Julie and Adam" signs in the parking area). Ash cave is enormous, but the acoustics are dandy. So, I was able to eavesdrop on much of their vows and ceremony.

 Julie and Adam and wedding party with guests marry in Ash Cave. You can see the small trickle of water coming over the edge.


When you get up above the cave, this is the little creek that drains over the edge. Doesn't look very far, does it?




And, I couldn't resist the nature photos. I am always fascinated by what is just right there, in color and texture, and life.

 
 
 


 At Cantwell Cliffs. It was raining lightly for our whole hike here, and the moss covered rocks were a tad slippery. So, we stayed away from cliff edges. Not everyone does. in 2013, four people have fallen off cliffs in the park. One of them did not die in the fall, I'm not sure if she's still alive. But there are no protective barriers or anything. If you want to wander off the edge, you can. I like that. And, have no desire to get close enough to fall.

 Our last hike of the afternoon was out to Rockbridge. It was pouring rain when we arrived, so we sat in the truck and ate lunch, watching drenched hikers return to their cars. We eventually pulled on plastic ponchos and set out in the rain. It was a beautiful and solitary hike. When you get there, it is a surprise. And you can walk out across the bridge- I stayed well away from the edges!


 Such vibrant, true colors. Deep greens and intense reds, and the beautiful shades of brown and gray.


 This is called "Fat Woman's Squeeze". For real. It is a stair between enormous boulders at Cantwell Cliffs. FYI, you'd still have to be pretty fat to not squeeze through. But, unlike the Circleville Pumpkin show, very few folks hiking around the hills were obese.



I grew up in the woods. But, I live in the open farmlands. I miss the smells of the woods, and the leaves, and the pines.  I feel soothed by the sounds of the creeks, the coolness in the summer of the deep woods and the deep quiet in the snowy winter. It was in a way, like visiting my childhood.

 
It was a lovely trip, and certainly we celebrate our 19 years of marriage!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment