Saturday, November 16, 2013

Salem House!

We are in contract to buy a house!

Cowfeathers is still where we live, well, 4 of us, anyway.
The other house is to house Eldest and a few housemates. It is tucked into an adorable little neighborhood near Ohio State U. Now, keep in mind, OSU is a ENORMOUS campus. It is smack dab in the thick of things in TBC, the 15th largest city in the USA. So, there are some inner-city issues to consider. Part of the area surrounding the University is pretty sketchy. So, my house search was thorough and deep; I picked the neighborhood I wanted and looked at two houses.
I have been known to watch the HGTV show "HouseHunters" and think "How in the world could you look at only three houses and choose one? 17 is more like it." I guess three is more than I needed in this case.
I have started calling the house "Salem House", as it is #1692. It is a Cape Cod (also a Massachusetts origin- like Salem, where a bit of a stramash happened in 1692) style home built in 1942, as are all its neighbors. It has sweet little bones, a nice back yard with a large silver maple, wood floors throughout, and an unheard of 4-5 bedrooms and 2 full baths. It has everything it needs, save charm. And I'm accomplished at adding charm.
Thus another project will begin after we close on little Salem House. I will blog the changes, because I think it will be fun to do and fun to share.
1692 Rhoda Ave, Columbus, OH 43212Salem House as it looks today.


The back patio (yawn) with a hot tub? Anyone want a hot tub?

The kitchen is where I will put some effort to make it a nice place to work, as good food helps your brain, and these kids need to study.



I relish the moment I get to relieve the walls of the wallpaper border- I opine a particularly outdated movement in American decorating. But, not the only thing needing a bit of polish here! Those cabinets! That fridge! Hello...ceiling fan (not a fan.)
In other areas there are red walls with black curtains, pressboard "pine paneling" and carpeted stairs. These things don't deter me, atall. There are closets in every room, a linen closet, windows, light, and will be a really lovely place to live. The neighborhood has a playground, tennis courts, a garden, and a mix of students, young families and older people, although I would guess very few original owners!
Stay tuned for a transformation of Salem House!

2 comments: