Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Going to Grenada- Installment 7- Oildown?

So, I had seen the words "Oildown" in my cursory research before heading to Grenada, but still had no idea what it was until I got there.
We saw it listed in a menu at B.B.'s Crabback as "The Grenadian. Oildown! Grenada's national dish. Only available on Friday."
It wasn't Friday, so I didn't ask (I'm enough trouble for a waiter without also being curious.)
But, my guide into the rainforest, Danny Alexander, answered all my questions, including this one.
Since we were in Grenada for the Independence Day Celebrations, I got a pretty good demo. They make oildown for the celebration. Americans have hotdogs and hamburgers on the 4th of July. Grenadians have oildown.

This is oildown being cooked on the edge of the rain forest by a nice lady who gave me a lesson and a look. She would've offered a bowl, but it wasn't done. I wouldn't have accepted, due to the ingredients, but with a little tweaking, I think I could be an oildown fan!
Oildown is cooked over a wood fire in a cast iron cauldron. That is important, evidently.
It is a dish cooked in layers. The bottom is layers of meats. They like using smoked or salted meats. Rabbits, fish, goat, lamb, chicken, anything, and everything! Then the next layer is vegetables; broccoli, cauliflower, greens like callaloo, root vegetables like cassava or dasheen, potatoes carrots, whatever they have available. These steam and heat and release their water which then in turn helps stew the meat layer at the bottom. On top goes spices, of course, they are the Island of Spice! About 20 minutes before serving, they add big chunks of breadfruit to the top which then melt into softness.
In my picture above the black pots to the right of the fire are full of bread fruit slices and greens.

For my own Oildown, I would stay with the fishes on the bottom layer, and the rest of it could be traditional. A Pescatarian version of Oildown!

No comments:

Post a Comment