Sunday, February 1, 2015

Winter reward.



I have never lived anywhere for such a length of time as I have lived at Cowfeathers Farm. While not exactly Nomadic, my existence prior to moving down this pretty lane was a year here, a few years there except for my days in Redding, Connecticut. When people press me for where "I grew up", I select "Redding." In the woods. In a delightful home called "Puckihuddle".
I often find myself comparing my formative days at Puckihuddle with my current days at Cowfeathers. Particularly in the winter. I have to say, largely, the Redding days have the advantage during winter time. I think this is because of wind. Cowfeathers suffers from great wind. This makes for biting cold and constant inter-home breezes, snow that leaves lots of bare patches and great drifts, paint that lasts only briefly on the east side of any structure, vigilance in roof repairs, and periodic arrivals of treasures from somewhere upwind. I think, honestly, Connecticut was colder. But not windier. So, your nose hairs might freeze up instantly when you walked out the door, but your coat worked. Connecticut had the advantage of trees, and hills and large rocks- stuff that slows the wind right down. Here at Cowfeathers, wind has free rein- a direct shot from Canada.
But, there is one advantage to the open prairie winter; sunsets. The picture above is a Redding winter sunset; ball of light sinking beyond thick fringe of trees.

Below is our reward for winter in Ohio.

Cowfeathers Sunset (gets a capital letter).


This is what we are treated to when there is sun in the winter at Cowfeathers. God may have opened a windy door, but he also sent an artful window.

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful sunset. Just now, we in rural Kansas have 14* and 25 mph wind.
    I love your last sentence. ~ T.

    ReplyDelete