Monday, June 19, 2017

Samantha got a chance.

I know a lot of you have followed the Story of Samantha. This is the next chapter.


On May 16, 2016, I posted "A Blog About a Horse, But Really A Blog About Abuse and Hope? Sammie Gets a Chance?" 
It was about two weeks after I collected an emaciated Samantha from her abusers and was hopeful that she was going to live. The event had consumed me at the time I wrote the blog, and for months afterwards, the care of Samantha was a daily priority.
But Samantha thrived under our care, and over the year bloomed back into a picture of health. A shiny coat, a luxurious tail, a sweet and gentle attitude, enthusiasm for all things edible- she became herself again.
So this spring we started the search for her next home, and hopefully, her forever place. A word of mouth search only, as everyone involved with the rebirth of Samantha dreads the idea of her landing in a place of starvation and abuse- again.



Yesterday, she went to her new place.

It's not too far away for visits.

She will be the horse of a woman with a disability, to groom her, lead her around- as in Showmanship- and care for. Hopefully, Sam will be comfortable enough for some light riding. (She is still not completely sound in one shoulder and her SI joint, but time has shown improvement in all areas, and she now has time.)
It is hard for me to not have control over her care, I am still sickened and teary when I think of what happened the last time. But I am a person for whom hope springs eternal (this trait allows me to continue to hope this time, the chickens won't dig up my perennials...)
I hope Samantha is home now. I hope Samantha likes her new barn mate. I hope Samantha likes her new person.
Above all, I hope she will be loved and treated with respect and patience.

I hope for a happy ending.

Thank you, all that have showed concern for this horse. Nearly 3000 people have read the original blog post from last year. Maybe Sam's horrible experience served to raise awareness in someone who came across the blog. Maybe one of the 3000 people became more conscientious about how they treat the animals in their care. Maybe a horse was sold, or re-homed due to that awareness and now is living a purposeful existence. Continue to share, talk and encourage!
For Sam.

No, Sam isn't that small. Yes, Youngest is that big!

No comments:

Post a Comment