Monday, August 30, 2010

Sleeping weather.

It's just starting to be perfect. It may be in the 90s during the day, but at night it drops and drops, until you grope around at the bottom of the bed for the down duvet and snuggle down beneath. If it is really cold, a pillow over the head helps interrupt the cold coming from the open window 6" away. A wonderful sleep. And, such a fleeting time here at Cowfeathers. See, we do not air condition. We have air conditioning. It works. We turned it on once when my inlaws were visiting from Florida. They certainly do air condition, and it seemed hot and humid here in the north without it. But, I find myself to be crippled by air conditioning. With 60 some animals and gardens, living on this piece of paradise requires being outside a lot. When it is 93 outside with thick humidity, and 87 inside with thick humidity, inside is a slight break. Drink some water, then right back outdoors. When it is 93 with thick humidity outside, and 72 with low humidity inside, outside seems really bad. My limbs are heavy, breathing hard is more difficult, and the lure of the artificial environment gets too powerful. Sleeping with air conditioning is another problem. I'm sore all over and sluggish. So, live green, and enjoy the blasted heat is my motto. Besides, in my estimation, there are two hot months in our valley, two perfect ones and the rest are cripplingly cold. So, like a snake on a rock, I have to soak up as much heat as possible in my two months.
This means we are just around the corner from unpleasantly cold (we don't do much heating either) so, perfect sleeping weather( like indoor plumbing and the perfectly ripe brandywine tomato)  is to be recognized, and celebrated!

No comments:

Post a Comment