Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Graduation- Midwest Style

It's graduation time in central Ohio. High Schools, the myriad small colleges, are handing out diplomas to the successful and sending them off to the next phase of their lives. Here though, first there is the ritual "Graduation Party." I graduated from high school a long time ago. I think my parents were pleased- not surprised that I would graduate, but pleased that I was one step closer to that next phase in my life, which was to be spent not under their roof. And, they were hopeful, it would not be spent in govermental incarceration either. I believe I might have been a bit of a trial in my teen years. Perhaps this is why I had no Graduation Party. I had attendees at high school graduation, then, I believe we went out to dinner. My sister tells me I was wearing something innappropriate at dinner, another recollection I do not possess, so it is heresay. Then again, my 17 year old self was rather positive and oblivious all at once, so it is possible. But, I don't recall any of my less difficult friends having big graduation parties either. I don't think either of my elder sisters had a fete for their graduation. I just don't think we did that. I am supposing regional difference, as my friends here in Ohio that are my age did have big bashes for their graduation.
It seems the formula is thus:
  • A big tent with tables and chairs provide shade and places for guests to sit and mingle.
  • Corn Hole. I will have to explain here, as I think this is another regional thing. This is a game where two plywood pieces propped at a slant face one another across a smallish distance. There is a hole cut in the top thrid of the board. Bean bags- filled with corn- are tossed at the boards, trying to make them go in the hole. For this you recieve points. The boards are painted in either a Ohio State University motif, or a John Deere Tractor motif, or sometimes, the Steelers.
  • The Shrine- this is an area of display for the accomplishments of the graduate. Certificates, plaques, trophies, photos, sport letter jackets, FFA (Future Farmers of America) jackets, etc. It is good fun to look at all the honors the graduate has accumulated.
  • Photo Video- optional, but preferred. This is a television set up with a slide show playing of photos from the graduate's previous years of schooling and cuteness.
  • Food- non-optional. This is always plentiful and good, and yellow. Yellow food, as I've stated, is the best tasting kind. Potato salad, pasta salad, are yellow stand-bys of Graduation Party food. Also, meat. Ham and green beans, or barbeque on a bun, or bratwursts (another regional thing?  I never heard of a bratwurst until I came to the midwest. It is a fat sausage you grill and eat like a hot dog).
  • Cake. Big, sheet cakes decorated in school colors- that means a lot of blue and yellow frosting around here- that say "Congratulations ______" or,  "WOW! You actually got a diploma?" Okay, I've never seen one of those cakes. But, I'm starting to plan ahead for our first Graduation Party. Eldest only has 2 years left.....( that is only funny to me because she is very school-focused, and grades are top-notch).
That is the formula for the GP.
I wonder if I can get away with a traditional graduation- New England Style. So, Eldest, where do you want to go to dinner? The GP is an awful lot of work!

To the Graduation Party of our friend, Kobi, we also brought beauty from the garden. Peonies, Irises and roses are bursting right now. 
Front

Back (It's like a lesson on Sesame Street).

No comments:

Post a Comment