Monday, May 9, 2011

Mother of a Day.

Mother's Day.
Can you say you aren't a fan of Mother's Day, if you are a Mother, or have a Mother that you treasure? Probably not. But, still, mostly I feel that Mother's Day is forcing you to try to appreciate me. And, if'n ya don't, tough. I guess I don't want much hoo-ha.
And, what Momma wants, Momma gets, as my two eldest kids forgot it was Mother's Day until the greeters at church said "Happy Mother's Day!" And, that suits me just fine.
The boys in my life were a bit more conscientious. My morning started with the sounds of Youngest vibrating outside my bedroom door, waiting for me to show signs of life so he didn't wake me up, but could be there first thing. No sense in trying to sleep when he's quietly crashing around outside my door. So, I made some stretching noises and he pops his head in" Morning Mom! Happy Mother's Day!". All this enthusiasm for me, and it isn't forced.  That makes it fun.
He presented me with a Johnny Jump Up plant, a cut out flower, with his picture in the center and words of love written on each petal, a poem about me, and my perennial favorite; "How well do you know your Mom". As long as the kids are young, this never fails to disappoint in the humor department. This year's gems? Well, I'm 5'7" and 170 lbs. ( which could either be disheartening, or encouraging as I carry my weight well), I don't like to miss "Oprah" (this may be true, but I have been missing Oprah since youngest stopped nursing in 2002), my best meal is "Vegen" ( poor kid.), my favorite hobby is "reeding" (I believe this does not involve waders and a machete), and my best friend is "Tary Mike Jonson" (So, beware Terry- you are now, and forever "Tary-Mike" in my mind).
After morning barn chores, youngest asked if he could make me breakfast. So, while I hurriedly got my church-on, he scrambled a just-collected egg with green beans, mushrooms and bean sprouts. He then presented me with green tea with fresh mint and this fabulous egg creation. (I believe Huz had a hand and a word in here and there.) The kid can cook.
At church, our pastor shared the above comedic jewel of mothering from youtube. The truth can be funny!
After church, Eldest drove (here is where we all can gasp) Middlest and myself to friend Kara's house to pick up a few horses and head to her nearby indoor arena. It was a glorious, sunny, perfect day. Yet, unless you are a rice plant, it is too wet for much of anything. Certainly too wet for heavy horses. So, still trying to ride indoors.  We were able to take Kara's baby, Ava, with us. I was torn between two of my favorite things: riding the ponies and holding the babies. But is was a perfect Mother's Day, and I got to do both.
Then, home to clean 5 stalls and sit down to a Mother's Day meal (fortunately on the porch, as the previous activity left me smelling like horse pee. Life IS good.) Huz had picked asparagus from the garden and complemented it with roasted butternut squash on arugula, and our first sweet corn of the year. This was followed by strawberry rhubarb pie. Amazing! I have to make some rhubarb sauce and chutney, I always forget how great rhubarb tastes until spring rolls around and the plants get huge.
Back up to the barn to finish up and take a picture of Mikey.  Middlest and I are wanting to watch his progress as he gains muscle and weight. He is also gaining the spirit of horse. By rolling in the mud!
And- Middlest is NOT allowed to do stall chores with crocs on. NOT. Perhaps this is why she chose to wear them to the barn?
Then, for a special treat, on Mother's Day- talking with my OWN Mother! I miss her.
She spent the weekend winning Champion Ribbons for her sheep fleece at the Maryland Sheep and Wool Festival. Cleaned up. It makes me envious, again, of families who all live in close proximity. I could have been with my Mother, and my children. AND, my Grandmother. Moving to Monaco, bringing the fam.

No comments:

Post a Comment