Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Rails - Inside & Out

As always there are too many tasks to do, and not nearly enough time to accomplish them, but I keep a running list of things, every once in a while having the satisfaction of checking one off.
Usually, there is something not on the list, or down pretty far, that then breaks and jumps in line. Cutters. Or, as the kids here say "Ditchers".
But with school back in session, and no prearranged appointments to force me into a motorized vehicle, I dedicated myself to a Coverall Day. The first in months and months. This summer did not feature lazy days, but it didn't feature work days either. So, at the top of the list today, for me, was getting started on fence painting. Oh, the joy of menial tasks. Pour the paint into the pan, roll it on the fence, repeat.
Gives you time to think.
I have for some time been ruminating on some barn and stall remodeling, as the horses are making a mess of two of the stalls, drainage is a problem, and there are some catawhompus parts to Peaches' stall.  Mike refuses to pee or poop anywhere but in his stall, and then track around in frantic circles- whatever! But it makes it a sloppy mess, despite rubber mats, regular cleaning and entire flakes of straw placed in the most vulnerable areas. I swear, I had not discussed this with the horses though. Beyond statements like "Nice job, ding-dongs. Why do you have to push on the posts?!" or "Mikey, Mikey, Mikey. Just out that door there is an entire paddock where you could pee, and then you'd have a dry stall."
So, this morning, I did some morning barn feeding, sent Youngest off to the bus, and then marched my self and paint out to the middle pasture to begin rolling in the early morning sunshine.

The weathered grey becomes black. So tidy. So accomplished and smug, am I.

Did the horses think I needed some setting back- getting too far on my list if I'm finally around to painting fence. After all it has been on the list for years now.
Did they just sense my thoughts about a little remodeling and decide the first step to remodeling is demolition?
Did they not want to wait around for my schedule to accommodate assembling new stalls, and  facilitated the ditching/ cutting to the top of the list?
Well, evidently, what ever the reasons behind their morning activity, two of three stalls are now unusable. Buggers. I heard a crash bang, and then a puff of dust emerged from Peaches' stall, along with Oslo and Peach. When I made my way up there, I saw that that was the second stall of destruction, Oslo's was already toast.

Peaches north wall of the stall, now lying in the lamb pen.

Oslo's south stall wall, post broken and wall pushed away from previous location. Ugh.

2 comments:

  1. Looks like we have some work to do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm eager to see a photo of the completed fence-painting. It should look nice!

    ReplyDelete