Tuesday, September 10, 2013

1963- reborn in celebration.

1963 was the year my parents were married, and this weekend marked the actual 50th anniversary of their wedding vows.....nuptials. (That's a great word, isn't it?) Anyhoo, in honor of the celebration, my sister and her Eldest dreamed up a 1963 Dinner while we were in Virginia this summer to celebrate. The menu included many things none of us, save the honorees had ever tried, but the group was game! My sister had suggested in an email that we all come to the 1963 Dinner in appropriate attire. I pulled a vintage dress out of my closet that belonged to my Mimi- my Mom's Mom, who was a great keeper of clothing. The dress was probably more a 1959-1960 number, but I wasn't being fashion forward!
 Huz and I had taken Youngest and Eldest Sister's Youngest on a hike at a nearby state park in the rain. We returned to the house to have 1963 night already in progress, so we hastily got 1963 ready and joined the party. We had not brought a dinner item, so instead we brought a drink. Archived in Gourmet magazine, it was basically a whisky sour with grenadine.  Huz mixed them up and 1963 was reborn.
 
 
 
 
 
 The Fam, 1963. Middlest is wearing a sundress of the era, Eldest in a peter pan blouse of the same time. The hair on Eldest? Well, they did do big hair! AND blue eyeshadow.
And the menu? I didn't pay very close attention- nothing save the drink was in my list of edibles, but there was a green Jell-O with fruit and Coolwhip, a iceberg wedge with bacon bits and some creamy dressing, small burgery- barbequey sandwiches and a 5-can casserole. (5 cans on a mission; cream of chicken soup, french fried onions....mushrooms?)
My Dad loved it. That's what counts.
Good on ya, Helen and Aunt E. !
 

1 comment: