Monday, September 16, 2013

Band Hat/ Hard Hat

Chaser and I completed our first competition this weekend! He had his first time in a dressage arena, and his first jumping course. My goal for the day was that he achieve calm. Maybe even a moment or two of Chaser-relax! Also competing were Middlest and Nelle. They were competing in a division higher than ours. Accompanying us was Youngest, designated photographer and default babysitter for my friend Kara's toddler.
We departed early on Sunday morning. Felt too earlier for the late night before. See, Middlest had been wearing her Drum Major hat Saturday night in the High School Marching Band's first competition of the season.

 Assistant Drum Major for the Golden Sound of the Vikings High School Marching Band!



The competition show this year is called "Shine". It is a tribute to the sun, moon and stars and features music that showcase these celestial bodies. It starts with some gentle tunes like "Morning" and very soft, with birds and gentle rain. Then the band lets loose with "Let The Sun Shine" from my fave musical "Hair". The music is loud and so well tuned I got goose bumps on my arms. They proceed on with "sunny" tunes like "You are the Sunshine of my Life" etc. and then onto the stars. We haven't seen the whole show yet (usual for this early in the season) but it finishes with "moon" tunes.

 In her job as assistant, she is all around the field during the show. She begins in the back, moves to the front right, the front left the back left....I could hardly keep track of her. She watches the Head Drum Major who is conducting the band, and Middlest matches everything he does so that the players that cannot see him can see her. She is so intent, that last week when the Band Director asked her if she saw any mistakes on the field during the show, she thought it was a trick question and slowly answered "I didn't see any mistakes at all, I was watching (the Head Drum Major)." Ah, good point!

They played very well, and I know I'm biased so I can't be a great judge, but I thought they were easily the best band we saw all night. We watched about 16 perform? Huz will know exactly.
The awards began after 9:45 in the evening. I'm close to turning into a pumpkin by then- and despite having 4 layers, a hat, gloves and a wool blanket, I was verging on frozen pumpkin. But, I wanted to know how they did!

 They march in for awards, all business, looking completely professional. The two drum majors and the section leaders have this down to a "T". It always makes the other band's Field Commanders look a bit sloppy as they wander onto the field for awards. Above, the two Drum Majors salute as they are awarded their first award of the night. But they just kept winning, and winning, taking the whole shebang as the Grand Champion Band of the Competition. Best Music, Best Color Guard, Best General Effect; Best Band. After all that clapping, heart pounding enjoyment for these kids that have worked SOOOO hard- some since school ended last spring, the last morsel is announced: the band who have been awarded a Superior Rating, thereby qualifying for State Finals. Out of the 20 + bands at the competition there were but 2, and one was our own TVHS!


 Taking home some hardware.
 
 
 
Superior Drum Majors!
 
 
Now for the bus ride home, the putting away of things, and the return to home after midnight. Time to change hats.


It's Time for Hard Hats!
 
 
We did our dressage tests first, and while it is very hard for me to look at a picture without being critical, I have to say that for a premiere in a dressage arena, we hit all our goals. We did not leave the arena during the test (thereby avoiding elimination), we did not have any spooking, rearing or anything untoward. He had a few moments of lovely- being awarded a couple 7s and a 7.5! For a first time out score of 63%. I'm proud of that! And, there is a LOT of room for improvement.
 
 
 
 
 Middlest and Nelle also stayed in the arena and did nothing untoward, but since Middlest's goals were higher than mine, she was a bit disappointed with her test. But, it gave her some real points to work on before next week!




Then, after a break and getting to watch so many friends ride their own horses, we tacked back up for the jumping phase. Now, normally I warm my horse up for jumping before entering the arena. But, the practice fences were located in the indoor arena, and Chaser was sure there was some evil juju in there. So, I abandoned trying to warm him up and settled for allowing him to be calm. So, our jumping rounds were assigned in my head ; first round= warmup, second round=improve on first round.
Youngest was again assigned as the official photographer. I warned him shooting jumpers is tough, and he should put it on the "athletic" setting that does continuous shooting. He took about 100 pictures, and there were two pictures that included horse, rider and jump! Good Boy!!!!
Chaser and I went "clean" both rounds, meaning no faults on the course, but this was jump #3 of the first round, and you can see he took off early, and I'm playing catch up. Round 2 we worked at getting to the base of the jump and a better "spot". I was thrilled that he jumped everything without hesitations and enjoyed himself immensely.



Middlest and Nelle had two clear rounds as well, and improved in the second round. Both were  all smiles and having a blast!

The two ladies were the judges for the jumping phase.
 
Middlest and Nelle earned third place in their division, and Chaser and I won our first ribbon- a fifth place! Good Boy!!!
(This photo taken right before Nelle unloaded on him with her hind feet, he broke his halter and his lead rope and got a nick on his side. I didn't' take a picture.)

No comments:

Post a Comment