Friday, May 2, 2014

Rolex 2014- workin' it!

I think that in order to get some things up on this blog, I am going to have to admit to myself that I do not have several hours at a time to do so, and thus, if I have a few minutes, pin something in, and maybe in short bursts, I will have shared our lives.
But, what....
Salem house hallway and stairs B&A? The new pony? Easter? The attack of the killer rooster? Eldest completing her first year at University? The termite swarm that is taking over my life, and probably the amazing house we inhabit? Or, shall I jump into the Rolex? There is no way I can cover our Rolex adventure in a single blog entry, so I will just give it the minutes I have and see what happens in tomorrows minutes!


 In this sea of khaki-panted, french braided girls, our very own Middlest is the one in the center, black jacket, grey piping (thank you Terry McKie Johnson).... this is their orientation early on the first morning of competition, Rolex 3-Day Event CCI ****, Lexington, KY, 2014!!!
So, the long and short is that Middlest was chosen to work as a volunteer at the biggest, most prestigious 3-Day Event in the sport of Eventing in all of America (North and South). There are only 4 CCI **** Events in the world. 3 of them are in Europe. One is under Middlest's feet. I, as her AOR (adult of record), was also included in the volunteer line up. We, along with 5 other of the members of her Pony Club and their AORs were on the dressage crew. We worked the first two days of four (yes it is called a 3-Day, but at an event this large and prestigious, the dressage phase takes two days for all the riders to present.)

 And, she was up-close and personal with the top athletes in the sport! She did various jobs during the two days, including poop-scooping in the warm up arenas.


 In the elite level of the sport there are many riders who are graduate Pony Clubbers. This is Doug Payne, who turned in the third highest dressage score of the first day of competition, proudly wearing his USPC Championships pin on his lapel. Thank you Doug for the inspiration! He was not the only one, I spotted several pins on top riders. I was just quick with my camera here, while working the ramp gate into the stadium!
 The workers had a few minutes each day to sit in the VIP stands, "courtside", to watch the amazing dressage rides. And, watch Hunters Run Pony Clubbers do the integral jobs- we had several collecting score sheets from the three dressage judges, one member who scribed for a dressage judge, and one who for most of both days opened and closed the main competition arena for each riding pair. They were fantastic, responsible and professional throughout. I am very proud of them all!

Middlest worked at the "bit-check" for a few shifts both days. The bit check is where a FEI Steward (Federation Equestre Internationale) and her crew (Middlest) check the horse after it has completed the dressage test to make sure the bit is legal, and their is no ear plugs in the horse. She is tucked behind the Rolex clock in this picture, in her Official ribbon and volunteer cap.

 The horses here are amazing. Athletic. Talented. Fearless. Powerful. In this photo is Buck Davidson (son of the legendary Bruce Davidson, 5 time winner of the Rolex) well on his way to becoming a second generation legend. He is on Ballynoe Castle- a personal favorite of mine, and as I was gushing about my admiration of the horse to the woman next to me in the VIP stands, I find out she is his personal veterinarian.I felt a bit sheepish, although I must have made her fill with pride. It was interesting to chat with a fellow DVM that is in such an interesting job.  Also in the photo are the Pony Clubbers running the scores...one of ours is on the left!

And just when I am star struck and moony-eyed, I see that though amazing, the horses are some times resistant none-the-less.


This is my Bit-Check Girl, the last day of competition, the last group of riders to go, waiting on Arthur and Allison Springer to ride past and begin their dressage ride. The ride that would put them on the top of the 82 entries with a top-notch score of 39.

I didn't get any pictures of Arthur in the ring, although I had my camera on and up. I just didn't notice anything but this pair. MAN, they were special, elegant in a way I hadn't seen yet, soft and relaxed, yet powerful and precise. I was in awe of the ride.



 When they finished the pair knew they had done something extraordinary.



 And Middlest was right there for it. I certainly hope this will be a lasting memory for her as it is for me!


No comments:

Post a Comment