Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Youngest gets a new pony-partner!

 It's been a few weeks since our latest addition to the barn arrived. I tried blogging about her arrival from my tablet, but it came out in jibberish, so...a non-entry. And, I have a bunch of pictures of this cutie, with Youngest, on my phone, but my phone and computer don't agree about their existence. My phone, incidentally, has also determined that I live in Providence, Rhode Island, and cannot be dissuaded by fact, nor GPS. So, my announcement of Youngest's new pony is belated, and not well documented photographically (except on my phone, which has pictures and video...)


In any case, Sunnygirl, (a.k.a. Cheez-It; because Youngest is 13 and she is red/orange) is a Quarterpony mare. She belongs to a lovely young lady who is at University and finds herself with too many horses and not enough time to enjoy them all. So, for now, S.G.(I've shortened it a bit, or sometimes lengthened it out with the whole "Sunnygirlcheezit") is a member of our family.

After Pearl died, I knew we needed to begin a search for a mount for Youngest, but it was just so darn cold all the time. Today, May 21, I still arose and put on polar-tech. But, with the horse season beginning regardless of the decisions of Mother Nature, we still gave it a go. And, found S.G. with little time to spare. So, the day after she arrived, she got to start working with Youngest, first in the ring, practicing their dressage tests, then on a ride out in the open.
 I was curious to see if S.G. would come back without her rider, not knowing exactly how she would feel about riding out cross country- would she get excited and a bit too much for Youngest to handle? Also, would Youngest stay focused and on top of the horse? So, off they went. Middlest with Nelle, KZ with Scooter and Youngest with Sunnygirl.

This is not just a picture of a beautiful cloud-filled sky! On the grass above this word is S.G. then Nelle, then Scooter a bit behind. Youngest and his new pony, off leading the pack. No worries.

At this point, I must mention the gorgeous field above and the amazing ring at top- that, despite days of torrential rains still has great footing- belong to our friends, the Z's, who generously allow us to come ride with them. Without friends this spring, little riding would have been achieved yet, as our field has dangerous footing, and is suitable for the walk only. So, we have been to the Z's many times, Dr. S's several times, and the fairgrounds arena has become our other back yard.

Youngest is learning to jump aboard S.G., who is generous about taking the cross rails with little guidance, as Youngest learns how to position his body over fences. He is making great strides in his abilities, and they are cantering around the arena now- I knew he'd find a taste for speed!

Welcome to a sweet, kind and red/orange pony!

1 comment:

  1. That looks like a sweet horse!

    (My computer has also decided I live sometimes in Springfield, MA and sometimes in Baltimore, no matter how many times I change the settings.)

    ReplyDelete