Monday, September 21, 2015

Horsey-Day of Adventure at Rocky Point Farm

This weather is proof that God meant us to enjoy our days. So, I chose to enjoy my yesterday atop a horse!
Middlest, Youngest and I went west to Springfield, Ohio to school cross country fences at Patty Miller's Rocky Point Farm. They have a little Horse Trials every fall, and it is pure fun.
Unfortunately for me, and for Middlest, the church that nestles into a corner of the back side of the farm was having it's Annual Church Picnic. Let's just say, my horse, and hers, were highly suspicious of the church activities, and my poor horse's bravery and security was devastated early on by the swing set. By the time volleyball began, he was in a very bad place, and we did not get much cross country schooling done, ourselves. On the positive side, Youngest's pony, Zac, had one little glitch with the church party, then was past it, and had a wonderful day. A moment of pride here on that glitch... Youngest and Zac were out on the course in the distance, jumped down into a gully, and then jumped over a jump to get back out. And right there were a bunch of children having a ball. Zac, let's say, got a little fast. Control was lost, and he was zooming back to the herd for safety. But Youngest calmly stayed with him, steered him up hill, and into a large circle, and then reorganized  and headed to the rest of the course. It was beautifully done.


 Yesterday's youngest adventurer was 4 year old Ava, on her mini, Peaches. They did the water, and several logs, and are well suited. While Ava was on the smallest mount, her mom was on the largest! These two are quite a pair. I love watching them together. Ava trusts her mom, and has a great time.





Another mother-child pair.... I treasure being fortunate enough to share this with my children. And, while Eldest doesn't ride anymore, she was along for the ride, today, as photographer. Plus, she is doing observation of the very advanced Ava for her Child Development class.


 Even while resting, my horse is on high-alert. I think he sleeps, sometimes?

 Middlest and Nelle never quite settled into the ride yesterday, and jumped very little.  Some days are just like that.

On the other hand, Daisy is not shy about showing off her imitation of a massive rocket.

 Love this group shot of the hind quarters.

And, as I said, Youngest and Zac had a fine day. They are coming together!


 And it is such fun to watch. I honestly don't know if I've gotten even a smidgen better as a rider over the past few years. I'd like to think so, but...it's possible I haven't. On the other hand, these young riders improve over an hour and a half. It is so impressive to watch them gaining skill and knowledge and confidence. I guess it is what allows some of us old horse folks to stop riding altogether and just help the next comers learn. It is that rewarding. Mind you, I'm not there yet....

Karli and Patches are finding their footing and friendship. 
And with that caption I'll put in a few words about my sometimes flighty friend, Chaser. We have gone from 80% flighty, 20 % confident to the exact reverse. And, as my partner, I know when to push him, and when to just support him. Yesterday, he needed my support and my confidence in order to continue. He never relaxed. In fact, I could feel his heart slamming against my heels much of the time. But, he believed in me, and kept it together enough that we were able to participate in the day. And that is what I have to accept and leave behind, and hope that next time he moves just a bit farther in his confidence, even if there is a swing set involved!

No comments:

Post a Comment