Thursday, March 7, 2019

"She got a new dress- what about me?" said the half-bath.

As it works with home improvement projects, you do one thing, and then other things start complaining loudly.
The kitchen got a spiff, so the half bath nearby started bellyaching.

"I'm so blue. And, I haven't gotten a new outfit in 10 years!"

 I had to agree. When I did the half bath after we remodeled the house, I went with a feel of sea glass. My parents have a wonderful little beach near their house on the Eastern Shore of Maryland that we call the "Sea Glass Beach" as it has been a shore where sea glass regularly washes onto the rocky sand.
I made a primitive mobile using sea glass from Maryland and sticks from Cowfeathers to hang in the window. I mixed a custom color until I found just the right blue-green I was imagining. I put the white beadboard around the space and the rest was Sea glass blue, walls, ceiling- it glowed in the sunlight.


 But after 10 years, it was looking worn. So, out came the white paint for a clean shiny coat  on the beadboard and trim. Then I painted the ceiling with the lighter green used on the floor of the kitchen.
This is the point at which I remembered to take a "before" photo. Oh well. Better late than never!
In this photo, you can see the table I have set up to help the next stage of redress. In the top photo you can see the ceiling has been painted green.

Then, a new outfit!
I chose a sweet wallpaper by BorsåTapeter, a Swedish wallpaper designer.



 The mirror is a favorite family antique, made in 1916, with imperfect silvering. The milk glass collection was my Gram's. Some treasured antique books; A Children's Garden of Verse, Captain Horace,  and a few nests made by the busy birds of Cowfeathers found their way to the window sill.

The sink is a reminder that this room used to house the hand pump that brought water from the cistern into the house. It sits on a table salvaged from a trash pile, I cut it in half and covered it in roof metal.



The background of the wallpaper is a very dark green/black, just like the darker squares on the kitchen floor. Slates with important information- quotes- provide bathroom reading.


The room is small, but the window fills it with light! And a view of the garden.

So, who's complaining now? The mudroom thinks she's being neglected.
She's not wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment