Friday, March 22, 2019

Third Age Recon Part III- Yes Sir, Georgia!

We pulled out of the gorgeous Lake Santeetlah, and pointed south. Through the mountains of north Georgia and eventually into the Atlanta metro area. Atlanta feels huge and sprawling, lots of people, lots of traffic, lots of everything! But, we made our way to the pretty area of Roswell and Marietta circling in on our target. It is an area of large mansions and treed neighborhoods. "My" cousin- Linda lives here. I call her "my" cousin, because I come from a small family. My three sisters and I had only one aunt, one uncle and one set of cousins. We all had our matched cousin pair; the eldests, the middles and the youngests. Lin and I were the youngests. I am a bit older than she, but only by 2 months. Lin was my cousin counterpart but we share a lot of similar traits beyond our DNA and I have always longed for time with all my cousins. Linda and her husband, Mike and their 5 kids live in Atlanta. Their pretty house is on a street with soaring trees, petite peaceful lakes and people!
For those of you who don't live in the rural north, seeing people outside is always a jolt to the system in spring. We go for a long time without seeing people outdoors. Maybe this is because if you are, yourself, outdoors, you are not looking around, but at the ground, as every bit of your body except your eyes are under several layers, and you need to see where you're going so you don't fall on ice or wander into a snow drift. You dash to your car, and back into the house. Shelter is your friend.
So, driving into Linda and Mike's neighborhood I was struck by all the people. Could we have found a climate where people voluntarily go outdoors in March?
We knew we found the right house as we were greeted by a note!

Delaney, age 9, is a great writer of notes. She made me feel most welcome and special. I had a note each morning, and a bedtime note too! And, if you notice, it seems the Georgia schools must still be teaching cursive!

We set about catching up. You know, it doesn't take longer than a few seconds to feel right back in the rhythm when you're with a true friend. My Aunt also lives nearby, and I was looking forward to seeing her, too. So, off we went, a short drive to her house.


My superior selfie cred on display, but I wanted the dogs in it. Dogs are definitely family members in our family. Simba is the light brown mix, and Sadie is the black and white.
We had a lovely evening crowded around a dinner table- just like it should always be with family. Linda and Mike's eldest and his fiancée came for dinner, I hadn't seen Gunner in too long, and had never met his fiancée, so what a pleasure!
But we were here not just to spend time with some of our favorite humans on this planet, but also to investigate our third age plan.
So, the next morning, my Eldest and I set out for the Georgia/Alabama line and the lakes there, mostly West Point Lake and Lake Harding.

We drove through the adorable town of LaGrange. It is full of pretty homes and enticing shops, and got an "A" for a small town feeling. The first house on my list to see was on West Point Lake quite close to LaGrange. Now, when you do what I have done- looked at houses online to find ones that seem interesting, you don't really know what the surrounding area looks like until you get there. So, as we followed our directions, and turned into the Country Club, I was a bit surprised. I hadn't expected a "CC" house. We passed gorgeous houses, and the country club itself, the golf course and then on a bit we spotted the house. I turned into the bottom of the driveway, and was happy to see a house I really did love.
Different than many others on the road in size, and maybe a bit older than some of the other pretty homes. This one looked like it needed a bit of work, but so lovely I wouldn't mind.


 I appreciate the way it sort of wanders on- it wanders out the back a bit too. The stone entry is lovely, and the casement windows are very European. I drove past to take a peek at the water.

Through a row of crepe myrtles (bestill my heart), you can see their dock, and the finger of the lake, no home on the other side, very private with 4 acres on the water. The house has a lawn that stretches out to the water, and no stairs. All good.


So, we drove to the end of the cul-de-sac, turned about and I went and drove around the circle in the drive for a closer look. Just as adorable up close. And, I could see the barn in the back. Lovely.
Now, I have no illusion that any of these houses I find will still be available when I get around to actually moving,  but I do find comfort in knowing that something I felt so fond of is there. Maybe there are others too.

We drove to another few houses on West Point, but didn't find anything I liked as well. So, farther south. Lake Harding was our next destination. I didn't really have a house I wanted to see, but I wanted to see the lake, so we just went for a wander. I turned here and there and ended up on a lane that dead ended on the water. And, wouldn't you know, a "for sale" sign.  It was a point of land right on the lake with a falling down cabin, but a lovely piece of land with a nice view, and a street of cute homes. Address? Hamilton, Georgia. Alas, not on Madeleine Lane.


It had a seawall (lake wall?) in good shape, and stairs right into the water. It was a bit chilly for a dip, but my daughter caught a photo of me thinking about it...

The houses around the point look like more of a year round population of inhabitants, with nice homes and tidy boat houses.
Thumbs up!

As it was mid-afternoon and we were halfway through Georgia, with Alabama just a short swim away, we headed back to Atlanta...
Via a detour to Whitesburg. There was a house on a small lake there I wanted to see. The house was quite pretty, but not quite what I was looking for, and the best one (IMO) in the neighborhood.
Still, encouraging to see some places that feel like possibility.

Back in Atlanta, the family time continued! Linda and Mike's eldest daughter and her husband came by to give hugs. I hadn't ever had the chance to meet her husband, so that was great fun. This time we remembered to take a photo!!


And, yes, of course Simba is in the photo. I am not sure why Linda is not! Mike was still at work, so I understand that bit.

We had a lovely time chatting until bedtime. Or, what should be bedtime. At which point Lin mentioned "Gram's Chair" which is a family memoir in furniture. I hadn't noticed it. So, one thing led to another, and we rearranged all their furniture. When you rearrange someone's house, it probably means you've outstayed your welcome, even so, thankful for this time together.

In case there was any doubt about our DNA, it looks like we have only two legs. This is MY cousin and me!


So, this is as south as we are going to get this trip. Headed back north- not North, yet, but in that general direction.



1 comment: