Monday, March 25, 2019

Third Age Recon- Final Chapter?

As our time in the South was so warm and lovely, Eldest and I weren't yet ready to return to cold March in Ohio. But, we had one more state on our tour.
"The Birthplace."
I was born in Virginia, and was there for a short while only, before shuffling off to Buffalo, I think. But, Virginia must have infused me with some sort of happy juice in the first breaths of life, because it has always felt very comfortable, almost magical. It has a special light, and smell in the hills of the Shenandoah. As a child I thought I would someday live in one of the abandoned houses that sprinkle the cow pastures on the hillsides, grey with weather, roofs sliding in, empty window holes for eyes and a tree poking up through the gaps in the porch roof. Those who have known some of the places I've chosen to live in my lifetime will finally understand my happily low standards. I guess they were set in my youth.
With age comes wisdom- or at least fatigue, because while I still find those places hauntingly beautiful, I don't have that much energy anymore. Rest easy if you ever plan on visiting us, we will have indoor plumbing, electricity and windows. No promises about trees on the porch, or cows in the yard.

So, our last Third Age Recon state for this trip is Virginia, and it starts with a bit of an advantage!
We left Georgia and headed to North Carolina, our objective being Asheville for lunch.
Tod and I lived in Raleigh for a while, me for about 8 years, and I spent as much spare time as possible in the NC mountains, and the area surrounding Asheville. Tod and I spent our honeymoon here too, in an adorable cabin that belonged to friends. There is an abundance of things to do in this area, from spending time touring the Biltmore Estate, or sampling their wines, to hiking up Chimney Rock. And, the town of Asheville is fun and progressive, with the scent of patchouli in the air. This area of NC certainly has its charms, and is worth consideration.
Eldest and I found a bite of lunch (yes, I found some lunch!) at a crêperie. They made me a delicious gluten free spinach crêpe. Eldest had a Unlawful Falafel crêpe, she said was terrific! Then we stretched our legs a bit walking about town. We wandered into the Woolworths, which is no longer the 5 and Dime it used to be, but a large artspace where local artists display their wares. It was terrific! We didn't leave enough time to really see everything, but we did leave with some art.
Back into the car, destination, Dublin, VA.
The GPS took us onto the Blue Ridge Parkway, so quiet and pretty, with occasional hair-raising cliffs and views. Eventually it took us off the Blue Ridge and onto some country roads, making me wonder where she was truly taking us, and then, inexplicably after an hour, back to the Blue Ridge Parkway. This is a Road Trip, so I don't mind a wayward path, and I had my trusty old map, just in case, and as the afternoon wore on we let the GPS do her thing. Unfortunately, the lady in the cellphone didn't know the Blue Ridge Parkway was closed. So, we shuttled off onto a dirt road that led to another dirt road and so on... eventually finding something paved. I wanted to get to Dublin before the sun set, and we were really pushing our luck!
Finally, arrived...


 Our "home" in Dublin, Rockwood Manor, the sun setting behind as we arrived for the night!


The beautiful floating staircase is centered under a large third story clerestory and skylight.


The floors on the main floor are alternating walnut and ash, and the entry has this sumptuous detail!
On either side of the entry are a formal and more casual parlor, with huge windows. The dining room ends in a set of bow windows that look out over the barns and fields.


  Eldest and I were the only guests for the night, so had the whole place to ourselves. This was our sweet little room. We had an attached bath with a grand tub for my thorough happiness.


Morning in the dining room. A nice woman came and made us breakfast, even me! I brought my own toaster and food, but she contributed a perfect egg! I am laughing in this shot because 1) I am still terrible at pushing the button and taking a selfie, and 2) somehow I ended up a foot shorter than my daughter.
Sun rising in front of Rockwood Manor, and we are off!
"The scenic route, please, Jeeves!"


Eldest and I climbed back in the little car and headed farther north, to Afton, VA, home of my big sis and her Huz. We arrived in time for us all to start talking at once, having not seen one another in ages.
Their home is on a beautiful hill with lovely mountain views and just blooming early spring bushes and bulbs.
I took this panorama shot on our second evening at their house with the sun lowering in the sky.. This is their back field. I was standing beside the herb garden (aka deer feeder, sigh).


After a spot of lunch, we hit the road again. We went into Crozet to have a gander at one of their rental properties that's having a bit of a reno, and had untold mysteries in its walls that still are driving me batty! (Why? Why oh why is the fireplace and mantle wider than the firebox? Why are there 11 outlets in one small room? Why, oh why, is the clawfoot tub tiled into a box with a bookshelf?)
We then went in search of what Huz had declared his favorite house in the area of the ones I had shown him online.

Found it!


It is a cute little cabin at the foot of Wintergreen Ski Resort, on a pretty stream. The downsides? This footbridge is the only way to get there and stay dry, and the new boards look like the bridge is repaired, but the foundation of the bridge, not so much. Also not mentioned in the real estate advertisement is that the hill behind and to the side of the house appears to be collapsing.

But, driving around this area is a joy. There are lots of beautiful homes and views of mountains, streams, red dirt covered ponies; some of my favorite things. That evening, Eldest and her Uncle went off to have delicious meaty food and my sister and I (had sensible spring-inspired pasta) joined them after for a "Books and Brews" discussion at a local brewery. The local radio station has an author come and talk about their book and answer questions from the audience whilst people drink artisanal beers. It is very aspirational.
The author was Inman Majors, and yes, he was that Southern. I believe he even had white bucks on his feet. I haven't seen white bucks since...well since I lived in Virginia last, about 1988? Eldest got a signed copy of his book, Penelope Lemon: Game On!  and home we headed to rest up for another day of driving about!
My Brother-in-law, is also an excellent realtor (yipeeeee!!) so, he had lined up a few properties for us to drive by and enjoy. We were looking at "areas" but a vacant house or two along the way keep spirits high and ideas flowing.
We saw some amazing areas. Some that are quite obviously well above our pocketbook!!
We did see an intriguing home, that looked like it should be well above our price range, but was not quite... so something was up. We went. It is in a great location, with a lovely property, and a to-die-for house. It was called "Old Manse" and was built by a Reverend in 1869.
While not quite at the level of my childhood aspirations of a house with empty windows in a cow pasture, without several hundred thousand to do repairs and renovation it might get there. But, a girl can dream! And in my dreams it looks beautiful! Plus, dreams are affordable, and take almost no time or effort. To dream.

Old Manse, with it's porches, porticos, ancient boxwoods, soaring hollies, fetid swimming pool from the Gatsby area, shabby out buidings and rolling fields. I loved it. Would that I were 30 years younger and a million dollars richer!
Still, a real possibility is out there for us somewhere.

I had an enjoyable stride about the hill back at my sis' house, and she caught me on the way back for a photo. Smart girl,  I am forever forgetting to record the moment whilst living in the moment.



Note: sweatshirt. No hat, gloves, scarf, Carhartt, or Alaskan riding skirt in sight. This happens but rarely in March in Ohio!...where we return to in the morning.
We are a bit warmer, more knowledgable and better for having seen friends and family. An excellent spring break. Well done, Eldest!

So...where should we spend our Third Age?




No comments:

Post a Comment