Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Drum Major in da house.


Eldest ( on left) with her Head Drum Major, and friend.
Drum Major Academy. I watched a bit of it yesterday, and then the closing ceremony. Eldest's ambition has been to become Drum Major for the high school marching band. She tried out as a freshman, and was not chosen, but that  would've been unusual. I was just pleased she was trying anyway. Then, last year, as a sophmore, she auditioned and made the Assistant Drum Major for the coming season, her junior year. She is, well, you could call it "quite chuffed."
Last week was the camp designed for Drum Majors to learn the tools of the job.
She went north to Ohio Wesleyan University while the rest of the family went south to go collect Youngest from Sailing Camp in Maryland and see the family at "Camp Yummie".
Since I am not only  the last mother on earth that requires her children to do dishes, but also the only mother on earth that hasn't given her children cell phones, I had no information on how the camp went until the pick up yesterday. Then, I got the info. All of it. rapidly and continuously, until all the available information had been imparted. I retained a few bits.
1) Drum Majors are very enthusiastic folks. There is lots of clapping and cheering in the 100 degree heat.
2) "harch" means "march"
3) The food wasn't very good
4) My child is sheltered, and did not previously recognize that New Yorkers, Pennsylvanians and Ohioans have different accents.
5) Eldest had a really good time, and learned a lot of inspirational phrases. I have been admonished to "Dream Big and Don't Stop Believin'"

Okay, that's about it. Fortunately I am not the one who had to retain all the information from Drum Major Academy. And, I got some pictures.


Eldest is third column from left second from the back. She's the best one.

Rest position for 150 Drum Majors.

Eldest ( on left with the bangs over her eyes) with her section and their certificates.

No comments:

Post a Comment