Monday, July 25, 2011

This is your life? Camp Yummie con't

If I make some guesses and do some math, I think I was probably 5, my Mother turning 30 when we got together with the cousins in Pennslyvania for Thanksgiving and put on a play. We often did plays, but this one was special "This is Your Life, Mom!". I was of the youngest, so was probably included as scenery, or got to be a baby or something. The older kids, 10, 9, 8 and 8 were the playwrights and main actors in this particular production. Mostly I remember a lot of plaid flannel shirts (November in the early 70's) and the adults laughing really hard. I assume we did not come up with the idea ourselves. I would guess an adult put the idea to us. If I had to guess who... I would say it was Dad.
Fast forward a generation. ( Or two if you use the standard deviation of 20 years per)
Now our children are the ones who stage a production each year when we gather together. Thanks to Middlest Sister, whose children are accomplised stage actresses, the productions are pretty darn good. I would guess a step(or three) up from the plays we staged in my own youth.  And, in 2011 we had one of our own celebrate a pretty big birthday- 70.  That someone would be my Dad. So, be careful. Karma is patient.
"This is Your Life, Poppie!" was a great production, with a bit more material than was available for the "Mom!" version. How do you decide which snippets of his history to recreate? Well, somehow it was done. This time it was Eldest Sister who was the idea- man. Watch out big sis!


The audience assembles...

Including the beautiful Emily!

"This is your life? UH OH!"

Young Charlie convinces Young George to pretend a shoestring is a snake, and scare Young Gram..

Young Gram chases Young George around the house and yard with a knife. (She didn't take the joke well that day long ago, but by the time I was around to hear the story, she would shake with laughter and rub her hand over her eyes.)

Young George asking out each girl in the high school in hopes of being voted class president.

This is really funny when it isn't about you!

All the girls vote George for President!

Poppie at West Point.

Poppie gets married....

and has three girls!

Sheepmon!

Night swim under the moon.

No comments:

Post a Comment