Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Average Purple Morning.

To me, this looks an awful lot like Middlest on a sled with a dog, if one was wearing purple lensed glasses. In truth it is yours truly, many years ago, when the world was purple.
When I look at this photo, I see many things, but one of them is my mother. Who isn't in the photo, because as mothers the world 'round, since the invention of the portable camera, stand behind it with it crushed against their cheek, squinting at their children. Or, now, I suppose, hold it at arms length, trying to see life through the 1.5" LCD screen in the glare of sunshine. Mom, you did well to capture things of everyday childhood. There are pictures of graduations and Christmas morning and prom and stuff too, but days like the picture above, though special, weren't unusual. Dad would've gotten up in the middle of the night to plow our driveway with his little Bolens lawn tractor, I believe I once posted a picture of him thus. He would then have made his way through the white Connecticut woods to work on mostly plowed roads. Or perhaps not. Maybe this is a weekend, because the light looks like morning light, and I would've been in school if it were a weekday. Barn chores would have been finished in the barn to the left outside the photo. In fact, I would guess Frosty is hanging over the fence there watching me sled. April, the Cocker Spaniel,  would have walked to the top of the drive, and waited for me to get on the sled before stepping into my lap and settling herself for a ride. At the bottom she would dismount and make her dignified way to the top of the hill again for another run. Blossom, the black dog in motion, would've chased us down the hill grabbing at the back of my coat and barking. All on an average purple winter morning in 1982.

1 comment: