Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Riding Sam

Today was a great day! It was so because I went riding. This hasn't happened in more than a month. Christmas took over our lives a month ago, and then I hurt my back again, so no riding. But now the steroids are over, and I don't feel pain in the disc just standing, sitting, breathing. So, I want to ride. But, yikes! With my spine still in a somewhat fragile state, and both Oslo and Samantha unridden now, for weeks, and it being cold (which for non-horse people translates into frisky horses) I will have to be brave, and trust one of them to let me escape without paralysis. Now, Sam is for sale. Not that anyone really knows this. It isn't a secret, per se, but not exacly publicized either. Peaches is for sale, too. And, last Friday, I leapt a bit and listed her on a local internet Craigslist. I have gotten a few nice inquiries about Peach, and another from a girl who is looking for a horse, just like Sam. So, I told her family about Samantha. She is wanting to see Sam, and I want her to see and ride Sam, too. But, to be fair to Sam, it would be more practical for her to be ridden once or twice before we expect her to be perfect.

On top of all that, I seem to have encountered GI fragility too.... but the urge to ride is strong. So, today, I decided to forgo eating until I had ridden. I did my morning errands, and tacked Sam up by 1. And, off we went. Now, two years ago, I wouldn't have worried a bit about getting on Sam, in the winter, in the wind, with a wackadoo lumbar disc, but I haven't really ridden her since...hmmm... let's see... autumn 2010? And who knows what she's thinking now?
But off we went, me determined to:
1) make it home on top of the horse
2) not acquire frost bite
3) Enjoy this overcast, grey winter day on top of my trusty blonde mare

And, all three goals, accomplished. We went "around the block" which is about a 5 mile trek down our road, then a dirt road, then a country road, then another country road and back to our road, about 1.5 miles from our drive. It includes going over 2 bridges, 3 scary culverts and past several fields of curious cows. One house with about 15 huntin'dogs in kennels on chains, two houses with unfettered dogs sporting raised hackles and suspicious eyes, and a large pole barn being erected by growling machines. For the first half mile or so, we had a few spicy moments, but nothing I would've put much note in had my first goal not been in place. It wasn't like she was attempting "airs" a la the Spanish Riding School:


 More like swatting at horse flies. Still,  the downside of riding in January might be frost bitten fingers, but the upside is no flies. 
But, after we got moving a bit, we had so much fun! We arrived back home just after the bus- which means we also were passed by the bus- again, no problem. And after the last bridge, I let go of the reins, let her stretch her head and neck way out and saunter back home. Lovely.

No comments:

Post a Comment