Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Horse Hunters International, Choice #3

Now, we have a contest! Today I went to try out Bandit, a 10 yr old paint gelding. He is calm, and relaxed, a happy horse. He has been being worked in dressage on the flat and over some fences (for the past few months). He is forward, and fairly balanced -crazy considering his confirmation/injury changes to his left fore- has nice movement and could be called "cute" or "flashy".
In the photos he is being ridden by the very capable woman that has been riding and training him, she is taller than I- the horse is probably 15.3hh. I rode him on the flat, which was pleasant and energetic and then switched saddles and jumped him over a course about 2'-2'4 ish, including one cross country type fence. He is new to jumping but very positive and honest to the fence.



Positives:
I could take him right out and do whatever I wish to do, tomorrow. I really had fun riding him.
He has a nice foundation, and I don't see any reason why he isn't as capable as anything I usually get my hands (behind) on.
He is a positive, happy guy. I like his personality, and think we would get on well together.
I do think that should Middlest continue to ride she could move up to this horse at some point.
 
Negatives:
He is on the top of the age range I was looking for, so, like me, he comes with some battle scars and history. I am somewhat concerned with his long term soundness due to the funky left front limb. He has some significant scarring above the knee, with some chronic cellulitis type enlargement to the knee area, and then he is fetlock varus, with what feels like cold medial high ringbone. That being said he is sound, and has been for a long time.
He is at the top of my price range (above?). Hoping they will be negotiable in this buyers market.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment