Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Horse Hunters, International*



* International is a bit of an exaggeration. It is more along the lines of Horse Hunters within a 100 mile radius, but the other sounded better.

Huz was watching a programme (the British spelling is just so...international) on tele the other night, that featured a young couple with an astronomical income looking for a vacation home in St. ____ ( I don't know what island, it has blue water, palm trees and expensive, very expensive real estate).  House Hunters, International.
I thought maybe there is something to this. You are presented with only three real estate options that mostly meet your criteria, you go home, drink something,  create the old "Pros and Cons" lists, and then make a life altering decision in front of a camera man. Sign a bunch of papers and BAM! You're International.
I am not in the market for a home, second or otherwise. I'm rather chuffed with this old pile of bricks, at this point seemingly held together by dirt. (Maybe I should do more cleaning and less Horse Hunting?) But, I am in the market for "A New Equine Partner"...doesn't that sound so 2012?

So, here is my version of Horse Hunters, International. The last bit will have to be justified by my looking at horses in Ireland on the Internet.
I will present my choices here, and maybe, even choose one. The thing is, I can't guarantee it will be just three!

Okay,
Choice #1
This is TheHorseWithNoName. Well, he has one, but it made no sense. Ottalottakickinsomething...
He is a lovely, 16.3hh (okay, for those of you playing, with no horse experience, a hh = hand, and a hand=4", and this is measured at the withers= top of the shoulder, where the mane joins the back, so this guy is 67" at the wither, or about 5'6", which is considered a tallish horse.) 6 year old. He has been given a lovely responsive foundation with a true horseman who does barrel racing. At age six, he has matured to a size too large for the job of turning around barrels at high speed.  He was fun to ride, and large enough for me. I like his age and personality.
He has had no jumping experience, but has been on the trail and in show situations.
My horsefriends will notice right away that I'm riding him in a western saddle. This was not easy for me, it put my leg in a difficult place, and was larger, and harder than I'm used to (barring the saddle I grew up riding in which was a 50...now 80 year old Argentine Borrelli- and that thing was like a stone.)
He is the least expensive of the horses I have ridden so far, but also one of the finest trained. He also lacks experience in my field of interest.


Tune in for the next choice in future blogs......and weigh in with comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment