Thursday, September 6, 2012

Horse Hunters, Int'l...Choice #2

Choice #2
Is a 10 year old Oldenburg gelding, probably 15.3hh (for description of what I'm talking about here, non-horse folks, check out Horse Hunters, International blog from yesterday- oh, and while I'm sort of discussing the "hand" measurement, it is only 4 inches...so you can't be 15.4hh, that is 16 hh. Kind of like saying a board is 3 feet 12 inches long- that is 4 feet! So, to the lady I met the other day, that wanted to sell me her horse, who claimed he is about 16.7hh? This is an equine basic, get it right, or seem foolish.) 
This is me riding him this morning, as the sun got higher and the temps got hotter. He is very cute, with nice gaits, if a bit lackadaisical. At this stage in my ride, the owner was wielding the camera, and I was wearing out my legs trying to make him track up and move out a bit.

This is where I told her I was wearing out my legs trying to make him track up and move a bit. She is an accomplished dressage rider, and kindly jumped right in with some instruction and encouragement to get me doing what I need to do to get him to move on. I got it, but it wasn't pie. More like creme brulee.

This is the photo from his advertisement, of the owner making creme brulee look like pie.
 Positives;
  • Very elevated in the front end with a nice self carriage.
  • He is very responsive, with great brakes.
  • He has been ridden out of the arena some, maybe not really "trail" but in the open. If he is brave we could grow together.
  • He is full of personality.
Negatives:
  • He is not an easy ride, I don't see him as something Middlest could move on to in the next few years.
  • He has done some cross rails, but does not have real jumping experience.
  • His ground manners are difficult. He is ULTRA mouthy- I have green stuff all over my shirt and collar. He is constantly reaching for you if you're on the ground and will nip. Putting on a halter, bridle, leading him... all like having an octopus with 8 mouths. He was also testy about having his back feet picked, so, kicky enough that it would not be do-able by many folks.
  • He is difficult to fit, saddle-wise. The owner is currently riding him in a tree-less saddle. (and so did I...it was different!) This means probably investing in custom saddle(s) for him.
  • He is at the top of my price range- making previous bullet point even tougher.

No comments:

Post a Comment