Thursday, December 23, 2010

The Christmas Musicale!


Eldest starts us off with "O Holy Night" on her flute.

Seems as if it needs an exclamation point, or maybe an AED.Is it enough to put out a mess of cookies, some cheeses, mull some cider and slap a bottle of Captain Morgan on the counter next to the eggnog? Shouldn't I at least try to straighten the mess on my desk? Do I need to be an enthusiastic puppy bouncing from room to room making sure everyone has something to drink and someone to talk to? Hand out caroling books and demand my children plonk out "Jingle Bells" on the piano?  I have read somewhere that if the hostess has a good time at a party, it is a fine indication that the guests, also had fun. Maybe for some hostesses, but I think I'm a poor mark, as I tend to have a wonderful time, even at my own parties, regardless. The Musicale is no exception, ( I had a terrific time!)  except as a party premise it might be a bit weak. I want to give an opportunity for the children who work so hard at piano lessons, violin, flute, clarinet, recorder, etc. a chance to play holiday music for an easily appreciative audience. If I am in a more energetic mood, I also get the group singing Christmas carols, and push the kids to play and perform. This year, after a busy day at work I was more enthused about getting some hot cider, spiked nog etc. and spending a bit of time with my friends! So, upon reflection, no one sung carols. The music was sporadic from the children, and some never even got their instruments out of cases. On the other hand, they did gather in groups and play some holiday music. Eldest got out her flute and did a beautiful job with "First Noel" and "O Holy Night". Middlest worked the saxophone, got the middle school set set up blasting away at trumpet, trombone and flute and also presented a fine piano rendition of "Carol of the Bells", and Youngest got the elementary kids and their candy colored recorders playing "Jolly Old St. Nicholas" and "Amazing  Grace". And, the adults chatted and ate and enjoyed one another.

Middle School set gets prepped for their "jam session".
Normally a clarinet player, Emma gives the sax a go.

We had a wonderful smattering of local families, one of Middlest's sweet friends showed up, fudge in hand, and we had a surprise joy in our friends from the north of "the big city" tromping up our icy, snow covered walk (if I hadn't worked, I might have gotten around to clearing that up a bit better, Youngest gave it a go with the shovel)  and carrying "The Tart". The Tart is a tart perfection of cranberries, toasted slivered almonds and chunks of dark chocolate settled into a handmade thick caramel all nestled in a cookie-type tart crust. Yes, it is my favorite tart and a fine cook and dear friend managed to bake it and lug it south to give each one of my tastebuds a present. Other guests arrived with tasty homemade cookies- even homemade dog treats for Tucker!,  baked brie en croute, and amazingly,  a bottle of wine whose label just happens to be my name! Who knew? But the best thing they brought was themselves and a house full of kids and cacophony. The invite said "Make a Joyful Noise Unto the Lord" and, if he was listening, I think he would have clapped a bit.

Youngest gets the recorder troops rallied to get out there and "Have a Holly Jolly Christmas"
I love that my friends know to come to the front door. Back door arrivals are fine in a mid morning "just stoppin' by" kind of way, but I like to use my front door. My friends are important! Front door worthy. And I love that they still come when I send out an invite. Certainly, it is so much easier to just stay home. But, thanks to you, my friends, we are makin' mem'ries. And yes, I realize that if you are important enough for me to want you to come to my front door, perhaps I should get the snow and ice off the walk in preparation for your arrival. And clean off my desk.

No comments:

Post a Comment