Wednesday, December 1, 2010

December 1-Don'cha snow?

I crawled out from between my toasty covers, left behind my sleeping hat (Mama sleeps in a kerchief- or a polartech hat. It is cold in here...maybe that's a subject for another blog) and in the grey morning light started my ablutions. Upon further inspection of the view out of the window, I could see a flake or two in the air, framed against the darkness of the cedar tree behind the kitchen garden. After dressing, I knocked on the kid's bathroom door to tell Youngest "It's snowing!" That brought him barreling downstairs ready to go to school- in a short sleeve polo and bare feet. Let me point out that it has climbed up to 61 degrees in the warmest room in the house. And, despite our country ways, we do encourage the wearing of shoes to school. Eventually, he had managed to pack his lunch, find shoes, and maybe even socks? and a sweatshirt! I tackled him by the back door to push him into a coat, gloves, and twine a scarf around his neck- "Darn." was his assessment of my motherly equipping. Kiss on the forehead, so smooth and soft, almost like he's still my baby, and off to wait for the bus. Waiting for the bus here can be not at all- running down the lane watching it drive away, or 30 minutes hunkered up with your backpack to the wind. At this point, there is enough snow for him to create a small snowball from the accumulation on the barbeque grill. Thrown for the dog, for great amusement as the dog can never find a thrown snowball. Blending, ya' know. I went back to the house to drink tea in the front door alcove and watch him. I could tell he was cold, because there was no jumping in the snow, lying down and rolling, trying to climb the maple, or even face upturned to catch a snowflake. Poor little mite, just tucked up against the biting wind and flying snow. I yelled to him a few times, but my voice was pulled away to the creek. So, off to the mudroom to bundle myself up for barn chores and to grab my camera.
There's the little guy, watching hopefully for the bus to appear across the cornfield.
The wind is indeed nasty! A walk to the barn left my face stinging and my eyes burned. But, Henri (it is getting to be breeding season, when "Henry" changes to his alter ego "Henri" pronounced in the french way, like "Onry" because he gets really ornery) and the ducks are wanting out.
Pepper looks suspiciously at the coldness her feet are about to suffer. The baling twine across the picture is Middlest's solution to keeping the door closed when we are in the barn and the wind is coming from the east. Usually unnecessary, as the gales mostly come from the west- but early winter is fickle. And the poultry barn can turn into a wind tunnel with the door open.
As I wait for the ducks to all troop out, the bus arrives and I yell a "Have a great day!" into the wind. All in the barn are happy to see me, as more food will be in the offing. The cats are impressively furred, gorgeous, deep thick coats that make them look round and soft. Their feeding beam is covered by a fine layer of snow. As I look about I realize the snow is reaching about 3 feet into the barn. Time to place bales along the interior west walls.
Inside the poultry barn, the floor is dusted with snow along the west wall.
The horses come into the stalls when they hear my voice in the barn, Oslo nickering  the whole way. He gets so excited to see me. Is that why I love him so? He's like Tucker.  His deep blackness is dusted with unmelted flakes.
Unfortunately, he is in Peaches stall, and Peach is in his stall.. So when I go to give Oslo his breakfast, a turmoil ensues in his stall with both equine butts facing me and a kick battle in the making. My vocal remonstrance (Shrieking "NONONONONO!!!!) convinces them both to leave the stall hastily. And I can arrange them properly in their stalls for another flake of hay (it's cold!) and Oslo breakfast.
After all have full water and a scratching, I am ready to go back to my own tea.
The snow is now enough that I will leave footprints that will disappear quickly. Sure would love to ride in the snow! But, with the rain yesterday, the ground will be very slick. And a few strides out into the full force of the wind convince me that the ground is probably WAY too slippery (a.k.a. I am too much of a wimp) for riding today.
Henri is by his mate (Denty, the minivan) protecting her from the elements. Not doing a very good job as her back window is covered in snow. And Tucker is waiting for me in the snow, ready to find his bed again. Hmmm. Can I do that too????

No comments:

Post a Comment