Friday, February 25, 2011

Still here..

As an addendum to the negative experiences my "new computer" has suffered, Youngest managed to open a game program that won't go away and uses up all my satellite service, so my brand new computer is as slow as the old dial up regimen.

This time 16 years ago, I was having the worst afternoon of my life. My brand new baby was ensconced in a short little bed under the french fry lights in the PICU at Duke University Medical Center. She had been delivered in miserable fashion in the early hours of the day at a hospital in Raleigh, and made her trip to Duke in the Life Flight van, because the helicopter was grounded due to weather.
It was a bad day.
But, inside all that badness was the bestest. My sweet little? 9 pounder baby girl, who, fast forwarding through all the ick, came home with us in a few long, long days. Where upon she commenced to screaming. Wonderful, loud, ridiculously welcome screaming. For the next few months. I was the happiest Mommy, with my capably screaming baby. She had a lot of easy moments too, and loved to smile for a camera, and was terribly engaging. Still is.
Very far away, and yet those moments are still very fresh. She has grown, and grown, now taller than me. She is bubbly, and quick to anger and quick to feel remorse. She is giving and stubborn and smart and  unwise. She is thoughtful and mature with a foot in terrible twos. How fortune has carried us along for the last 16 years. Thank you, fortune for each day we are given with this amazing child.

No comments:

Post a Comment