Thursday, February 10, 2011

Book 'em.

Marshmallows.
Maybe they worked.
Or, maybe it was the elderly duck egg, uncovered on Sunday by the chickens working on a pile of straw in the corner. Laid some time ago by the ducks, now all gone. I didn't want to break that one! But, I thought, it might be just interesting enough to get something non-feline and non- poultry into that trap. Whatever the enticement, the trial is swift, not of peers and no appeals. 
Sure enough, this morning, black and white and happily hanging out in his new crib, skunk #2.
I, on the other hand, was dressed in grey and blue, a jaunty pashmina around my neck, and chic leather short trench- ready for spending the day in the USDA office getting an APHIS Accreditation. I did not want my smell to precede me.
Bravely, I followed the example of Mike Faler, from Critter Control of Columbus and calmly picked up the trap and slowly carried it out of the barn, with it's cargo inside. I put the trap out in the morning sunshine, almost feeling the sun, and let the guy stay right there, with his nice bed of straw and a belly full of marshmallows and duck egg. When my barn chores were finished, I passed by the trap, happy to not be a bother to it's contents.
Mr. Faler kindly came by and picked up the little renegade. I was hoping we were done with this chapter of predator meets prey. Then, as our neighbor came down our lane this evening, she passed....a skunk. Sigh. Trap will have to remain set. It's breeding season for the stinkers.

No comments:

Post a Comment