Saturday, April 23, 2011

Maundy, Maundy, so good to me. Ba Da Badadada.

Leonardo da Vinci, was born near Florence, Italy in 1452. That would be some Fourteen hundred and fifty two years after Jesus was ministering. Yet, when we think of the event of Jesus' last supper, in the "upper room" with his disciples, we think of the painting by da Vinci. To be honest, I haven't thought about The Last Supper a whole lot.  
I tend to shy away from thinking about things that make me frustrated. For instance, I do not like war or holocaust movies. And the last day of Jesus stunk a lot. He was scared, and all the disciples were too, and then Judas does something he regrets- completely, and then there is gruesome dying. Plus, the "maundy" part is about (blaaach) washing feet and then there is a supper involved and feet and supper are no match in my reckoning. So, mostly, I skip over most of that part in my thoughts about the life of Jesus. The  story of the resurrection is much more hopeful. I suppose that is why we give our children candy shaped like bunnies and chicks on the remembrance day of the resurrection instead of the evening of the last supper. Or, in celebration of the crucifixion.
So, this  year, Maundy Thursday was a bit different. Instead of a M.T. service, our little church held a reenactment of The Last Supper- a la da Vinci. Each of the Disciples introduced themselves and said a bit about how they came to be a disciple, and their personality, and then what they did after Jesus ascended and how they died. It put things together for me for the first time, really. Although, the 13 were men, and I still think there are two women in the painting. I think Leo was making a statement. Leo the Women's Libber.
Huz was part of the reenactment, as Thomas- the original doubter. A dandy piece of casting work. The whole thing was really neat. Here is a photo, shot a bit on the sly.....

No comments:

Post a Comment