Monday, April 25, 2011

Optimism- damp and billowing.

Optimistically, I put the horses out to graze the lane for an hour today. I say "optimistically" because I thought, how much damage can they do just walking around either side of the drive. Um, the grass is a bit tilled now. Not because they misbehaved, just because it is so darn soft each step made holes big enough to plant a small tree. But, it is warm. and warmth gives me optimism.
This also made me hopeful. As hopeful as the sweet little Robin who created this beautiful nest, laid three gorgeous eggs, and forgot to build it in a tree. Although, with all the wind, this might be the smartest Robin at Cowfeathers.
I also decided venture into town to get a new headlight for Denty. Since Eldest is starting the process of learning to drive, I think it a fine idea to have headlights. Denty's are pretty dim, so with one missing it was grim night driving.  While in town, I went to the greenhouse to pick up more optimism for some of the many planters around. I have already planted the ones in the front of the house, and several at the side, but the ones in the border garden needed some hopefulness, as well as the little planter at the barn gate. This one will valiantly try to survive sheeping.
The chooks are having a wonderful time outside, as it is currently not raining! Yesterday, I was weeding the border garden in the rain, when I eventually noted it was no longer raining. In fact, there was something resembling sun through clouds! I stopped weeding, grabbed Middlest, and de-mudded the ponies to try and take advantage of the moment. Perhaps the first in many weeks. The only place to ride was the road. The shoulder was too soft. So we headed off around "the block". This is what we call the square we ride that is about 5 miles. The middle section is a dirt road, and it was just perfectly soft enough for stout trotting. The trees are still mostly bare, with a few hints of green here and there, and the beautiful starkly white Sycamore trees, popping out in the woods like streaks of lightning from the ground.  Oslo was curious about the black cows in the field beside the road, and they about him. But, he was confident until we got to the bend in the road, where the road is about 8 feet below the field as it rises to the top of the hill. At the edge of the road- 8 feet up- was a cow that bellowed "MOOOOOO!" I believe he was concerned that the cow was going to jump down upon him. At this point we got going a bit faster than planned. At the end of the dirt part is the Barrs. They have the most beautiful blooming tree. This is Middlest on Peaches with the tree. I took it with my cell phone, trying to keep Oslo in one place after dashing away from the attack cow.

You can tell by the ears, he is searching for other potential dangers.

Today I made it to the last part of the border garden with my weeding and rose bush rehab. Yesterday earned me a sliver in the tip of my right index finger. Following advice from my sister, I applied a piece of potato. This is supposed to draw out a splinter overnight. So, I slept with a potato stuck on my finger and woke up with a potato on my finger and a splinter still in my skin. So, back to old-fashioned digging it out with a sharp object. So the other slivers earned in arms and legs from my tamed roses will have to stay until I feel like digging, and that won't be until after I'm finished with taming of the roses. Perhaps I'll start again after supper.
One last picture of the HUGE tulips in the Anniversary Garden. Hard to tell how big they are in the picture.


No comments:

Post a Comment