Monday, February 6, 2012

February Spring

It is one of those deceitful days that make you believe there is naught between you and fresh strawberries ripening on the ground. The daffodils are likewise befuddled, and the trees are fattening their buds. It is still only February 6. In Ohio. The sun is a stranger and being here, feels welcome, but I'm reserved nonetheless. Like the popular kid showing up to your high school party, you're pretty sure that come Monday morning homeroom, that kid won't remember your name. So, you shrug your shoulders and resolve to stay loose and not dwell. The sun may be here, but I'm not thinking it's here to stay.


This is what a sunny February morning in Ohio looks like. I'm not sure what is happening outside my windows, but it doesn't look like this.

It looks more like this:
Well, maybe that is an exaggeration. Ohio never looks quite like this.
This is really a younger version of Eldest, I think she is shrugging down under the rainbow, like it might zap her. It did not, and she made it, by the way.
In any case, it is a beautiful day.
Spring is certainly "in the air". And what does spring mean? Projects and fence repair and spring cleaning and gardening and chicks and longer days? Well, yes, but it also means 4-H project time.
Huz and I are the nominal heads of a rather large group of 4-H'ers. I believe this year's tally is 80 kids. So, on my dining room table are the project books for the group. 186 books, I believe. My own children have enlisted in 16 projects. By my calculation, this means that we have 3.75% of our club's members living in this home. Yet, they are taking 8.6% of the projects in the club. I think we might need to work on narrowing that gap. Apparently, other parents have managed to do so and they probably retain their sanity right through June. Mine is definitely in question.
The books are currently sorted by category. Tonight we will, as a family, get them sorted by child.
So, sun, do your worst in making us feel like it is spring. By the time The Fair rolls around, I'll believe.

No comments:

Post a Comment