Friday, February 10, 2012

Weekends dashing about

Last weekend, as with most weekends, we were spread thin. I took Middlest to her Pony Club riding lesson in the morning- which entailed driving 30 minutes south to pick up a horse (even though we have 4, none of them were just right, so Goldilocks rode my friend, Kara's, horse Patches) then driving an hour and a half north to the designated arena. Whereupon the snow began in earnest. It was extra joy to have Kara and her adorable baby, Eva, join us for the trip and the lesson watching. Sometimes, I am amazed to realize I have friends! Not that I feel unworthy of friendship, just that with each person as busy as we make ourselves to be, there is some tricks involved to friendships. I am hoping time will smooth out for me one day, and the bumpy path will widen, and I will still have friends. Meanwhile, it takes efforts and gifts, like Kara climbing up in Blondie (my monster truck) and strapping Eva in, and spending a few hours blissfully chatting and watching the snow fall. Then, allowing our toes to solidify into ice piggies standing around in an indoor arena. Middlest had a lesson while the snow came down wet and heavy. Then, we reversed the process, and traveled south in a winter wonderland.

This is Middlest, on Patch. Instructor, Stephanie Eurez coaches her over the trot poles.
Photo by Jennifer Hilaman



While she and I were horsin' around, Eldest was being transported by Huz and Youngest to Pickerington North H.S. for the Solo and Wind Ensemble Contest. She played a flute solo in the morning, at 9:40, then had a long day of waiting around in high heels before her flute choir played their ensemble pieces at 5. Both were really wonderful. I missed the solo because of paragraph 1, but we made it back from horse stuff after three, and then headed out to catch the flute choir. I don't have pictures from the contest, because it is verboten to shoot pictures of the contestants. They will be eliminated from the competition. But I do have pictures from the dress rehearsal a two evenings prior to the contest.

Eldest with friend and fellow flutist, getting ready to perform!


Eldest plays her solo.  As you can see, dress rehearsal is in band uniform, not skirts and heels! I am so proud of her getting up and performing a solo. Not everyone has that kind of strength. Plus, it was really beautiful. It makes me wish she would just stand in the corner playing the flute all day while I putter around the house. This has not happened yet.


The flute choir, with Eldest in the center. In the competition, the flute choir recieved the highest rating, a "Superior"!

No comments:

Post a Comment