Thursday, October 7, 2010

Fragile Flower at the Feed Store


Some folks are regulars at the drivethru, some at the coffee shop, some at the grocery store, some at Barney's...I am a regular at the Feed Store. Faler Feed, in Lithopolis (yes, City of Stone). Faler's is across from the cemetery, just south of the library. On the way from Cowfeathers to The Big City. Feed Stores are one of the dustiest places on earth. Think coal mine. They mix feeds in big augured mixers and let the dust fly. And the bits of grain, so there is a sour grain smell when the weather is wet that nostalgically reminds me of my job at the Randleigh Dairy. When I go to the front, there is almost always someone there to take my order, usually Becky or John these days. John used to be in the back, slugging bags and mixing feeds- he's moved up! They make sure I've remembered the chick starter, or the bicarb for the sheep. Then, you drive around to the back. Here, service varies.

Loading my Layena (chicken feed)
Sometimes one of the guys is right there, asks you what you need, and disappears into the back, coming out laden with sacks. But, sometimes, not. A few years back, I felt like an intruder in the back, and would go back to the front of the store, ask if there was a helper around, and then back to the back to wait. Or, sometimes I would wait for a long time, hoping to see a glimpse of a Carhartt jacket, so thick with dust the original color is indistinguishable, so I could wave to the wearer and look hopeful. Now, as often as not, I just go back, find my bags and load them in Denty (the Honda minivan...it has some dings) or Blondie (aforementioned monster truck), and off I go, 500 lbs heavier. My social encounter for the day shortened by a worker or two.
Now, since I'm off to the Orient (really?) I'll be at Faler's today, but I need to load up enough for a while. And with my neck, can't load it myself. I also have two ancient Milk Cans in the back of Denty that weigh a good bit, and I can't move them either, so I'll have to ask the guys to move around the stuff in my car for me, and then load the feed. Invalid. Or...."Fragile Flower" (that's me!)

No comments:

Post a Comment