Thursday, October 21, 2010

Homer Again Jiggety Jog

Homer. Took him forever to get home. I'm thinking the Odyssey might be my next read, as I sympathize. Our trip home started with a car that wouldn't. The 6 a.m. taxi to the airport hadn't had any coffee. The driver tried to push start us. In the rain. Nope. We left the cab in the middle of the road and hiked back up hill with our luggage to try to call another cab. Hainnan airlines, China Eastern or something (it was confusing) flew us to Bejing, where our plane was delayed a few hours, so we left Bejing about 13 hours after ditching our cab driver for a 14 hour flight to Newark. Where, we naturally, had missed the last connection to C-town, and had to stay in a hotel overnight. It had been about 29 hours since I had slept- I was woefully unable to sleep on the plane, but we had an awesome NYC style pizza anyway before passing out for 4 hours. Up again to navigate the inefficiency that is Newark Airport. Against all odds, we made our morning flight (thanks to interior lighting that was on the fritz) and were collected by my Dad in the morning sun of Columbus, Ohio. Thanks to them, home sweet home was sweet indeed to come home to....and kids and critters and a bed that is not a board with a sheet on top. Still feel like I'm in a bubble, but the bags under my eyes are less, and I'm not dizzy every time I turn my head, so must be getting back to normal. Sure is good to be home!

No comments:

Post a Comment