Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Armless in China

Okay, well the fact is, I am leaving for China in a few short days. This means everything is in hyperdrive for preparation for leaving my children, home and critters in the capable (if possibly overburdened) hands of my parents. Only, see, I'm not doing too well. At the beginning of September, I did something to a disc in my cervical spine. Spinal unhappiness not being new, I do what I always do; cope, and some yoga. If it is really bad, I do what I can only do; lie down and wait for a while...days....weeks, whatever in between trips to the barn and in the car to collect young'uns and to work. My spinal screw ups are the fault of The Empire Strikes Back. See, when I was a kid, we didn't go to the movies often. But, my Dad really liked Star Wars, and so, when The Empire Strikes Back came out in the theater, we were going! It was rainy, and the family was waiting in the station wagon. I climbed up into the hayloft and tossed hay across the barn abyss into Frosty's stall, and my slippery Tretorns did not have enough purchase to stop me following the hay. I landed on the cement floor below. The Empire Strikes Back was the worst movie I ever went to. And my scaffolding has never been the same.
 This summer(June?) I was carrying my compound miter saw out to the fence row to cut fence boards, looked behind me to check where the dog happened to be and "CLICK". uh oh. Better finish the fence quick. Lower back not good. That one put me outta commish for a while (thank you, oh great helpers at work: Team Friday, Jessie, Steph, Paige- who was big preggers and still WAAAY more mobile than me) because I could hardly walk, let alone pick up any critters. And, at home, well, you do what you can. Now, this neck thing is a bit different, and what is annoying is, it is getting worse, and I'm gonna be in China and not be able to feel my arms. Armless in China.

Me. Armless in China. See, the background is red. Very Chinese!



Plus, how do I carry the bajillion pounds of stuff I need through the airport? Paperwork alone has to be a coupla pounds. Should've gotten a Kindle! Then, at least I wouldn't be trying to tow books as well as the necessities, shoes, clothes, shoes( always my biggest travel woe) and Diamox, Synthroid, Ibuprofen, Azithromycin- they have barbaric bacteria in China. For a gal that doesn't like taking medication, I'm planning on a traveling pharmacy. I am of the school of "you pack, you carry"... maybe I'll do a toothbrush, change of underwear and the Azithromycin.

No comments:

Post a Comment