Thursday, October 28, 2010

Don't like scary.

I went out last night. I haven't gone "out with the girls" in years. I was trying to remember if it had been our last town, or our last state... I think it might have been in Oklahoma. But, I was greatly looking forward to a night out with some of my riding pals. We went to dinner, and then to see "Secretariat"- a movie suitable for a pack of riding gals.
I arrived home at 10, having left the kids home for the evening, as Huz was giving a talk and tour to future veterinarians. The kids were to eat dinner, do their homework, complete the barn chores, feed the dog.
So, at 10, I arrived home to the mild but windy world that is Cowfeathers on an October night. Now, as anyone who watches horror movies knows, you always check under the bed. You assume there is someone hiding in the closet....instead, I was like the short lived character that blithely enters the house, starts the shower and begins to disrobe, while the audience screams "RUN, RUN YOU IDIOT!"
Now, there wasn't anyone in my closet, and my husband was reading in bed, valiantly trying to stay awake until I arrived home. So, we went to sleep.
Around 3:10 in the morning, the dog starts barking. This is nothing too novel, as the barn cats come down to torture him fairly regularly, and I think they peek in the door windows of the mudroom where he likes to sleep. But last night, he was really upset, and even started running around the house barking. So, I got up to see what the alarm was about. Sure enough there was a guy with a head lamp on shining it in the window. So, Huz gets up and goes downstairs to see what was happening. I put on my bathrobe and followed. Huz chose to open a window in his study to inquire. I heard "two horses, one black, one black and white in the road, hit one...."
I was out of the house like a shot, threw on my muck boots, and my Carhartt and dashed to the trailer- nearest structure to the house, grabbed a few leadropes and a small bucket of treats and sprinted down the driveway, my footfalls matching the "Oh Please,Oh Please" in my head. The moon was bright but kept hiding behind clouds and I couldn't see any horses. My bathrobe had completely dissembled and I was wishing a sportsbra was standard sleeping attire. Once on  the horseless road, I could see off in the distance the hazard lights of the Good Samaritan's parked truck. Really far. I don't have a cell phone, I don't have a vehicle, and I may have a horse that has been hit by a truck. So, I run back to the house. By now, Huz has dressed. I send him back to find a cell phone and keys and throw on a pair of mudroom coveralls instead of my bathrobe. My Eldest, impressively is now up and dressed as well, and we leave her at the house by the phone. When we get close to the parked truck, I see Peaches, the black and white horse, standing by the side of the road. With my heart in my throat, I search for my big guy. He is there. Walking. I collect them both with lead roped over their neck and in the dark they look okay. I send Huz to talk to Good Samaritan and find out which one he thinks he hit.
I walk the horses back, through the fields, my lungs burning from running in the wind and cold, and my stomach in knots. It turns out he didn't hit either one, just nearly so. Frightening enough.
So, in the horror movie, it seems I am the heroine who gets out of the house alive. But now knows to check the closet. Or, in my case, the gate.

1 comment:

  1. Didn't like this story!
    The first time my kids ever heard me swear was driving home from school to find our three horses out on the road.

    ReplyDelete