Monday, October 25, 2010

New Year's Resolution Project- October

This month's project (Number 10 of the year, as my New Year's Res. this year was to complete one project each month that had been on my "to do" list for years) will not have a picture until the spring. You can't see it until then. No one can! October's project was planting bulbs. When we moved here, one of the things I started doing was planting daffodil bulbs down the lane. I figured if I did 100 a year for 10 years, and they multiplied, as they do, by year 10 I would have more than 1000 daffodils blooming each spring. I was good about it for a few years, and one year, my Mom arrived with a bunch of daffs and planted them with the kids. And then....I slacked. So, it has been on my list for years. Also, replanting the tulips that I planted in about 2004, and adding some alliums-because I like them. Well, Mom got me started on the October resolution while Huz and I were in China by planting 250 daffodils on the lane. Then, yesterday, Huz helped me plant 150 tulips ( 100 White Emperor in the front of the house, 50 pinks in the perennial bed), 64 muscari (under the pink tulips) 20 crocus (by the mudroom door) and 4 Giant allium and 20 shorter alliums (in the center circle of the perennial bed with the peonies).
 The perennial bed planting made MUCH more fun by not having to clean the beds out first- thanks to Mom, who did that while we were in China, too. My parents were busy while we were gone, and I'm still finding little gifts in tasks completed. Dad did stall repair, fence repair, put in latches on the pocket doors (also on the list for years), even commisioned a door latch for the kid's bathroom from an ironsmith. He also rigged a baling twine and vinegar bottle door closer for the back stairs, so maybe not everything I've ever wanted..(this was just the mock-up. He has a more refined final version in mind). My Mom gardened and cleaned out the fridge (all her good work there already looking undone, sigh) organized the laundry room, my pantry under the stairs (also on the list for years) it looks like we need to leave more often, get some things done around here!
Just to rib my Dad a little. This is the Vinegar and twine door closer. I have threatened to leave it until he comes back to create the final version, but I don't know who that is punishing. I suspect it is me.

1 comment: