Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Bad Day for ducks.

This morning dawned late, with a two hour delay kids were up later than usual. Even Huz put off his work departure for the morning light. (Better to see 4 foot drifts before you hit them). And I laid in, waiting to see if there was truly much snow. There was not, but the snow has started up again in an effort to remedy.
While we slept and the world became more snowy, our ducks again suffered attack. This time, right in their pen. When Middlest went to the barn to do early chores, she found one dead, and the last two severely injured. So sad.
I have the remaining two in Duck ICU, ( straw filled box, under the heater in the mudroom) but wish I had the courage to do them in properly. I don't think I have long to wait for them to die on their own, but still, each minute makes me feel more ill. I have had injured ducks live through attack. Admittedly, these two seem worse off than ones that have survived. Poor Salt, my favorite of the ducks is certainly not long for the box.
So, the trap is again baited with duck. The duck-free trap alone was not inviting enough to catch the next bugger. And I feel frustrated and responsible.
So, bad day for Cate as well. Perhaps tea and a book under blanket in the daybed. Or, maybe some mad weight lifting and a round of kick boxing. Or, both, between trips to the ICU to fret. Clearly, I have a frowny face.

Update: 9pm Both ducks are still alive. I have been nursing them all day, and will continue to do so tomorrow if they are still alive in the morning. If I hold their heads I can get them to drink from a syringe, and I just got them both to eat a little corn mush. They are swaddled in their box, with the heater on in the room- warmest room in the house. At least I know they will have a quiet night, even if death comes it won't be with teeth this time. I hope tomorrow brings a full trap.

3 comments:

  1. That's a big Boo.

    Just this morning I was perusing the MMc hatchery catalog...making plans to replace the herd of Indian Runners I lost last summer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry about your ducks, I sure hope you catch what got them and that the two in ICU make it.
    I had 5 duck's go missing, only thing to show was lot's of feather's everywhere, the 5 that are left seem to stick closer to the house now. I am hoping to rebuild the coop and make it as strong as the chicken coop. Just never thought the ducks needed the protection.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bummer on the ducks. We have foxes over here that come. especially in Spring. Neighbors dog attached a few but its owner could stop it before it killed any. We lost 2 more, including the biggest, most aggressive one we have. Have figured it could be the badgers that are living under one of our barns. We may have to see if we can re-locate the badgers I think. Bryan

    ReplyDelete